3d printable stencil for WLED pcb

I thought it would make life much easier if there was some kind of stencil (is that the right word?) which would hold all electronic parts onto the pcb while I solder them upside down.
This stencil would be 3d printable.

Does something like this already exist?

Is there an easy way to make such stencil?
Maybe a 3D-Model of the complete pcb from which I could make a negativ.

Else I would create one by hand with FreeCAD.

There is no wled PCB. Which product are you talking about?

1 Like

Sounds like you are looking for a “jig” . If you have a specific board you’re assembling i could take a crack at it with my intermediate knowledge of fusion360.

Not sure of your specific arrangement but I have used big wads of playdough covered by plastic wrap for instant jigs recently with great success

Blu-Tack (or similar: https://www.amazon.com/Blu-Tack-S050Q-Reusable-Adhesive-75g/dp/B001FGLX72 )

I was talking about this:

And since there is already a 3D-render of the complete setup I thought it would be easy to create a “negative” from it.

I guess I “simply” have to export a STL-file from the gerber-file.

I will look into this in the next days…

If I understand you correctly, you asked for something, even though you had already decided on what the one-off solution must look like, and then when presented with a reusable universal inexpensive no-tech solution, you are opting for hi-tech one-off single-use solution that takes time to design, create and then test.
Ok, no worries. I have to understand as I’ve done exactly the same thing in the past myself.

Do you mean the Adhesive?
I don’t think I can use the tape to fix all components to the board at the same time, because they have different hights.

I understand the benefit of the 3D-primted solution might not be that big.
But I think it would be a nice proof-of-concept and I hoped somebody might already had created such a thing.:slight_smile:

Normally, you insert the components and bend the leads to retain them. If you can’t do that with some parts, then you improvise. :wink:

I asked the creator to add a step output of the populated board. It was added 12 hours ago as of now.
You should be able to import that into fusion and do whatever needed now. It is in the github repository under the enclosure section of the srg74 repository.

Here is the direct link: https://github.com/srg74/WLED-wemos-shield/tree/master/resources/Enclosure

1 Like