Candy Cane Lights

Should’ve shared earlier… Made 3 of these candy cane lights using extra PVC pipe I had laying around and some ws2812b LED strips. Covered them in some large shrink wrap tubing.

A vidoe of the lights in action…

2 Likes

It’s Christmas already! :christmas_tree:

Haha. No, just a very late post. It was a pretty easy project. WLED did all three heavy lifting. Thanks Aircoookie!

How did you bend the PVC? Steam, hot air, torch? I doubt torch because it’s still bright white.

@huggy-d1, I used a heat gun. it took a few minutes to get it hot enough to start bending. then just had to do it slowly to avoid it getting kinks in the process. i did end up spray painting them white after that, since there were lots of marking/labels from that manufacturer as well as they had been collecting dirt under my deck for a couple years.

if anyone is interested, there is the shrink tubing i used to weather-proof them:

Heat Shrink Tubing, 1.6"/40mm Round Dia Tube 66mm Flat Width 2:1 Sleeving Wrap Cable Wire Electric Insulation Heat Shrinkable Tube Transparent 16Ft (Dia 40mm): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

it took a little effort, but it was just big enough to fit snuggly around the PVC with the led strip. then used the heat gun again to shrink the tubing and secure it all in place.

1 Like

Good job, they look very effective.
A similar setup could be used to make leaping arches if defused tubing wasn’t available to place the lights inside.

Thanks for the explanation and the tubing link. Both very helpful. She will certainly be surprised when candy canes start appearing in the yard later this year!

She will certainly be surprised when candy canes start appearing in the yard later this year!

Haha, yea my wife was skeptical at first too, since this was my first year picking up the hobby. But she ended up loving it and we had several neighbors ask us where we bought our candy cane lights.