Combine 2d matrix and 1d led strip

Hi I’m starting to work with wled and I’m very impressed. But I have the following issue.

I want to connect a serpentine 2d matrix as well as a 1d led strip to a esp32 (different ports)
I cant seem to figure out how this is done in wled. In 2d preferences I’m forced to choose between matrix or strip.

Is this not possible in wled? Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Boele

I think the only way it would work ( the way I tested anyway ) is to setup the matrix on the first output
and then the strip on 2nd output .
In 2D setup you have to setup your real matrix and also setup fake matrix of number of leds more or same to the number of leds in your strip .
If you want to control each as segment then make sure to create two segments ( 2d segments ) for each output and it will work

Great!

It’s a workaround but its working :wink:

The matrix I’ve made is also not a square but a circle, defined in the 2D matrix configuration with a gap file. I had to rewrite the gap file as well. Adding a lot on -1’s

It would be nice though to have the option build in in wled to use both led strip and matrices simultanious. The gfx display gets quite small now :wink:

Maybe in some future release?

There was a POC for mixing 2D and 1D setup but it is dead , it might complicate matters under the hood though more then you would expect .
Specking of rings there is examples of using ledmaps ( not gap files ) to map rings as matrix , demo and ledmaps here in wled discord Discord

I did not see your video result and not sure if that any different but I personally like workarounds :smile:

Workarounds, theres nothing wrong with them indeed :slight_smile:

I shall upload a video when theres something to see.

Now its just a bunch of leds on the floor.

FYI anything past last matrix LED is treated as additional LED strip.

Ok thanks.

How do you set the segments for the additional leds other than in the 2d “matrix way”?

I have to define an x and y start and stop led other then in the strip way of only 1 dimension leds.

Now I’ve just made the strip a virtual serpentined matrix which works as well.

You can not set the segments for the additional leds other than in the 2d “matrix way” :smiley: [ edit: 2D and 1D mixing is supported ]

Yes it works also if you chain a strip at the end of a matrix

You just enter start pixel beyond matrix and UI changes to 1D.

I.e. if you have 10x10 matrix, enter 100 into second segment and it will change into 1D.

1 Like

I don’t seem to get that right.
I’ve a 14x14 matrix with a gap file to make it into a kind of circle.

In the segments I cant enter anything beyond the matrix when I have only the 14x14 matrix configured in the 2d configuration. If that makes sense? :slight_smile:

where should I enter 100 (in your case) in the second segment? Because I can only enter start and stop x and y in the segments. And because I have only one matrix configured it changes back to the maximum x and y stop position if entered anything beyond.

maybe because i’m running beta release 14?

Holly crap , that worked

Yeah I only found it just now so you can mix 2D and 1D as with this example

1 Like

Of course. I wrote it so.

2 Likes

I just tested that with DDP on a 16x16 matrix and 241 rings and it worked as expected . That opens a lot of possibilities as I seen many ask about it and I was one of the guys that said it was not possible . Next time write in caps :smile:

1 Like

That looks great!

and I’m almost getting there :wink:

When I put in the start led for the strip in the 2th segmets after the last led of the matrix it does show “led strip”

But when I click on save/create the segment it changes back into a matrix segment. Weird.

I thought maybe its because of the gap file, so I tried with just 14x14 matrix. But still the same thing happened.

Any ideas how this happens?

first I see the led strip:
Screenshot 2023-08-14 233919

When I click create it turns into this:
Screenshot 2023-08-14 234004

It is working on multiple units , Test by copying this example

You are using MM fork. I can’t support that.

Thanks,

Now I understand why it wsnt working. Now running Hoshi and it turn into a strip :slight_smile: magical!

Just to make it clear for anyone who may stumble here like I did.

You have to ignore the fact that when you add a new segment the for is for a Matrix. In the “Start X” field simply enter the number of the LED where you want the strip to start. This is super confusing. Took me a while…