Driveway Lighting

Hi All!,
Just like to say WLED is awesome! I have it running around trees and all sorts of places around home and about to add control from the automation system. I want to update the LED strip up along my driveway (easy enough) but I’d like to be a smart arse and use a PIR sensor at each end to trigger it. My thought was to get the strip to progressively illuminate over a few seconds from whichever end the sensor was triggered from, then stay illuminated for a period of time. I could build it from scratch but WLED already does most of what I need, just need to figure out how I’d go about adding in the triggering? Wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Brent

I’m going to be doing this soon for a friend. I’m thinking of using the staircase usermod. Pretty sure it will do wat you are looking for. :ok_hand:t4:

Good use of WLED project! Pretty much everything you plan is implemented in staircase usermod. You can try pre-compiled firmware WLED-wemos-shield/resources/Firmware/WLED_wemos_shield/v0.13.0-b2 at master · srg74/WLED-wemos-shield · GitHub or do it yourself.
WLED users waiting for a great projects, so don’t forget to post pictures or videos. Better here and Discord.

How high above the ground will the PIR sensors be located so they do not respond to cats, dogs, rabbits, raccoons, foxes, ground hogs, beavers, or whatever animals you would not want to scare to death with LED lighting as they walk across your driveway? What about “pet immune” sensors with slow response time so only humans and vehicles trigger motion long enough?

I ask simply to get you to consider this.

Also, what about triggering only between the dusk and dawn (rather than sunset and sunrise)?

I also think it is a fantastic idea. I ask only so you can keep a high WAF with the project, having experienced low WAF when not considering those types of things for LED strips outside the home.

I don’t think PIR sensors will be much use detecting vehicles in your driveway. You will need to use a magnetometer for that.

Or perhaps some of the various ultrasonic sensors.
Depends a fair bit on the total distance that needs to be covered.

The new radar “PIR” sensors come to mind.

Actually there’s a commercial product for long distance with reflector. When you cross IR beam it’s gave you a sensing.

I was thinking in terms of actual ranging with the sensor.
As I said before it depends a little on the driveway length, but it could give you the effect of having multiple “trip” style sensors as the range decreases past preset trigger points.