ESP32 Data Current to low

Hey,

my ESP32 Outputs Data Currents from 0.1-0.5V.
It should be much higher.
Because of that I’ve got LEDs just working, when connected max 30cm from the device, but it flickers as hell.

Any recommendations ?

I’ve got an ESP32 ETH01 on an WS2812B.
I put a Logic Level Shifter in between, but it’s not working bc of low currents.

I’ve got no oscilloscope, so I cannot say for sure that the signals are too low, but even with a multimeter I should get peaks around 2-3V on the data line. But I am at the 0.1 level…

A multimeter won’t measure the data signal properly, it’s too fast. If you get anything at all, there’s some proper data coming out of the ESP32.

There’s likely something incorrect in your wiring, make sure you have a common ground line between the power supply, ESP32 and your LEDs.

Also make sure your power supply is big enough for the ETH01 and the total # of LEDs you’re driving.

Check that your levelshifter is fast enough, you’ve got a bypass capacitor (100nF), and unused inputs are grounded.

Post a diagram of your setup and give the type and number of LEDs you’re using.

1 Like

Yes, i came to the conclusion that everything is working properly, but the Levelshifter I2C IIC was probably not the best choice. The first channel did not work. The other channels did and it worked properly on >10m Datawire.

Unfortunately an I2C type levelshifter is probably going to cause you problems in the long term.
They’re typically too slow to work properly with addressable LED data streams.

thank you fore the notice, i read it too and i am a bit unsure which then to choose?
Also i encountered another problem: for the 3v control current on the levelshifter i made up an voltage divider circuit. That worked properly, but was not ok for the I2C. I replaced it with the 3v current from the ESP32 and now it works.

Do you have any recommendation on an proper levelshifter?

Thanks for your help anyways!!

https://kno.wled.ge/basics/compatible-hardware/#levelshifters

As Jinx mentioned, there’s a bunch of options on the knowledge base.

I like the 74AHCT125 or 32’s for 4 channel, or the 74AHCT245 for 8 channel.
Don’t forget the bypass capacitor and to ground unused inputs.