Fire Flicker

I have two LED SK6812 lights strips. One is 291 LEDs and the other is 84. Both are being driven by ESP8266’s, one with rev10 firmware and the other rev9 (can’t remember which is which). I am trying to set them up to match the Christmas lights I have in the house. I created 3 segments, first segment starts at 1 with 5 for spacing, the 2nd starts at 3 with 5 for spacing and 3rd starts at 5 with 5 for spacing. Each segment has a different color. When I set the long strip for effect Fireflicker it works perfect, but when I do the same on the short run it gets all messed up. I tried going to one segment only on the short run. With effect set to solid I can chose any color including white and it Is fine, but some effect cause part of the LEDs in the middle of the run to be messed up. The short run is using a 5Apower supply with power injected at one end only but regardless of the effect both ends of run are fine, it is the middle that’s messed up. Any ideas?

That seems like the segments overlap, which is not good.

So what does that mean and how is it fixed?

It means segments cannot include other’s members. I just set up some segments as you described and they are not contiguous (there are gaps). Maybe you want that? Maybe you can describe it a bit more.

See here for segment details…

I think maybe my initial description of the issue may be confusing. The pattern I was trying to obtain does have gaps. Every second LED is off. This works on my longer run. I tried same on shorter run and I can use the same pattern with gaps and it is fine. As soon as I turn the effect to fire flicker it messes up. I then eliminated the segments and turned all red, solid or any color including white solid and it’s fine but with some effects about 20 LEDs from middle toward the end do something different than the rest.

Hi! Can you send us the output from [WLED-IP]/json/statewhen you have the light setup to produce the issue? That would make it easier to reproduce :slight_smile: thanks!

Hi, how do I go about doing that?

Assuming 10.10.1.4 is the IP address of your WLED Light (if you have the app and you don’t know the IP address - it is the numbers underneath the light name in the app device overview), you enter 10.10.1.4/json/state in your browser URL bar and send me the text the browser displays

{“on”:true,“bri”:180,“transition”:7,“ps”:-1,“pss”:1,“pl”:-1,“ccnf”:{“min”:1,“max”:5,“time”:12},“nl”:{“on”:false,“dur”:60,“fade”:true,“mode”:1,“tbri”:0},“udpn”:{“send”:false,“recv”:true},“lor”:0,“mainseg”:0,“seg”:[{“id”:0,“start”:1,“stop”:84,“len”:83,“grp”:1,“spc”:0,“on”:true,“bri”:255,“col”:[[0,0,255,0],[0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0]],“fx”:45,“sx”:123,“ix”:128,“pal”:39,“sel”:false,“rev”:false,“mi”:false}]}

I have it set to one segment, blue color and fire flicker effect. What is being displayed is red for first half, then changes to white and then back to red

Did I provide correct info? Any ideas?

Yes, you did!
The problem is that you have selected the “Autumn” palette, which causes the LEDs in the middle to be colored differently. Select the “Default” palette in the top of the palette dropdown and you will get solid blue. You can then use the intensity slider above the effect list to vary the flicker amount :slight_smile:

Awesome. Thank you. It is now working exactly as I expected.