Glitchy - help

so i shorted the output led lengths to 10 pixels short of the ends for both and glitch still persists. The thing I can’t wrap my head around is how each output is fine on its own, but when I add them together the glitch comes? Could it be a problem with the dig quad?

When I get this far down a problem rabbit hole - I usually try and stop, step back and go back a few (hundred) steps.

It might be worthwhile taking a copy of your config and your presets.
Wipe the board completely, load 0.13.0-b6 and start from scratch.
Don’t try and recreate what you’ve done (your backups will let you do that later), just create 2 segments and try the simplest effect you can on each - one at a time.
In other words start simple and work up from a bare bones system to eliminate some possible weirdness in your original config and/or presets. If you end up with the exact same flickering issues you probably have a hardware issue.

Have you ever done a circuit diagram of your setup so you’re clear (and we can possibly see) what you’ve done?

gotcha. I have nothing custom on the board, just the two outputs. So i can wipe it and start fresh if you think that might be the issue.

I can draw a rough/probably very ugly circuit diagram. Is this clear?

Does anyone see anything wrong with how I wired things? I wiped board and started fresh and same issue. So at this point do I swap out the board? Anything else to try before I go that route? Worth trying to contact the maker?

My first thought is that the power connections are probably fair, but the data length is too long.
This is my bias showing, but I don’t believe you can reliably expect TTL data to transmit over 50’ without external help (beyond the data booster).
For me, once you’re out past 5’ or so I go to a Tx-Rx pair running RS485.
They’re cheap, immune to much noise and fairly easy to wire up.
In your setup they go inline on the data wire, Tx at the MCU and Rx at the strip everything else stays the same.

Just my $.02

I appreciate that, but wouldn’t I have the same issue when running either/or output alone if the data line length was the issue? Problem only happens when running both outputs together. Running either output alone, they both work perfectly.

My guess would be you’re getting crossover noise between the two data/power cables.
50 ft of wire can make a pretty good antenna depending on how it’s run.

There “may” be all sorts of ways to minimize that interference, but I prefer to eliminate the issue completely.
In your case, I’d use an RS485 pair for each strip.
Might not fix everything, but it will eliminate some variables.

I am trying to think of a way to isolate it so I can be sure the data line is picking up noise because I would have to run more cable through the attic and…it is in a terrible spot in my attic. If I took another temporary route with the data wires, and ran, say 20 feet of copper for the data line, seperate from the power lines, and that fixed the problem great. If it didn’t fix the problem, would that rule out the data lines as being the issue?

If you add the new data run using 22/4, you 'll be pre-staging yourself to changeover.
Honestly, there may or may not be a solution to the issues you’re having by just “adding a wire, moving a wire, or adding a resistor” - or maybe not.
It’s why I keep harping on RS485 fix, it eliminates all those variables.

If you have any spare (or at least easily accessible) strips use one of those as a test.
Get a pair of RS485 boards and put them inline with a working data line.
You can use 22/4 wiring or Cat5/Cat6 without an issue, 150’ should be a piece of cake.

Once you prove the idea to yourself where it’s easy, you can plan to do an in place addition in the attic.
Realistically you should only have to attach the data and ground wires at the strip end in the attic
I know what you mean about ugly attic runs, I have done that for a living with security and data systems.
At least you get to do it while freezing to death rather than boiling alive in the summer…

Just had a thought, is there anywhere/way the data connection to the strip could be outside?
If it’s easier, you could put the Rx unit (and the new data cable?) outside as long as it’s reasonably enclosed/out of the weather. A piece of Cat5 can often be hidden in the siding/soffits…

OK cool, I guess I will look at trying to use the RS485 boards and some 22g wire. Can I use any ol 22g bundle copper wire I can get from home depot? I will end up having 4 outputs so I will need 4 boards. The thing about setting it up below before and I know I will be good…I did that, and was good with the 16g stranded copper. I even tried two outputs, both with 50 feet of bundled 16g wire.

I am trying to have zero wires hanging off the house…the eves switch directions several times, and go under a covered porch with no eves…i’ve been backwards and forwards trying to find a place to hide wire.

Unfortunately for me, I am in south FL, so attic is still roasting.

Actually, 4 outputs means 8 boards. They have to be used in pairs Transmit-> Receive (Tx-Rx).
Wire can be whatever you like up to 75’ or so and then twisted pair (Cat5E or Cat6) is a better choice.

I like alarm wire known as “Station-Z” in the industry it’s just 22/4 wire in a nice thin jacket.
HomeDepot will have Cat5E, which is a good choice in general for data only.

I take back all my empathy on wiring in your attic :grinning:

I just had an idea, do you think having the two data lines in the same jacket for 50 feet is causing the issue?

That is a possibility.