Issue with RGBCCT Strip Behavior in Home Assistant Integration

Hey there WLED community,

I wanted to bring to your attention an issue with how either WLED, or the WLED Home Assistant integration, handles RGBCCT strips. First, some context:

I have been on the search for the absolute *best* LED light strip that could imitate, if not beat, expensive smart home lighting devices such as the Philips Hue Gradient Lightstrip. This was surprisingly difficult!

Here were my hard requirements:

  • Must be RGBCCT
  • Must be addressable (SPI) instead of a single color throughout (PWM)
  • Must be FCOB
  • Must be <12mm wide to fit commonly-available LED channels
  • Preferably 12V/24V to allow for long runs without significant voltage drop

After doing a ton of research, the best option I could find were these FCOB RGBCCT WS2811 Dual IC LED Strip DC24V 960 LEDs/m strips from BTF-Lighting. They’re the full package - all the colors, accurate whites, potential for fun effects, and intrinsically diffused for ease of use.

Fortunately, WLED recently added support for these Dual-IC WS2811 strips, and it works more or less perfectly! However, when you try to control them via Home Assistant, things fall apart.

Essentially, I cannot find a way to setup the strips such that the RGBCCT functionality works like all other RGBCCT products in Home Assistant (such as Philips Hue). There are several reports and GitHub issues about this problem (I’ll link in the comments), but they haven’t seen much attention over the last while, and the PRs that “fix it” seem to be either vibecoded or otherwise problematic.

Essentially what I’m looking for is for WLED to handle RGBCCT strips (such as this one) in exactly the same way as the Philips Hue integration does - both an RGB and CCT selector with a central brightness control that controls each. No additional white/color brightness sliders, etc.

Please let me know if I can provide additional information and thanks for your help!

Here are the aforementioned reports (1) (2)…

and GitHub issues (1) (2)…

and one more relevant GitHub issue (3). Sorry for the multiple comments, I can only add two links per post/comment.

I have tried many different combinations of the Auto-calculate W channel from RGB: setting. Here is what I see in Home Assistant for each:

None

Brighter

Accurate

Dual

Max