Layout of home Christmas lights

How do I map out my home for outdoor Christmas lights, so the lights go in the right direction and any effects I run look good? there are multiple peaks that overlap a little…

My suggestion would be to not worry so much about “Making it perfect” until you’ve made it work.

There is no layout that will look good for every effect.
Plus you can use an ledmap file to rearrange the runs to fix some visibility issues.

If you end up with strips physically sequenced incorrectly, there are reasonably simple techniques using differential TxRx pairs to let you redirect the data out from one strip to the in of another over long (50 meter) distances.

Planning your power for the whole setup is more critical IMO.
Do some math on how many LEDs you think you’ll have and what you’d like to setup.
A diagram will probably go a long way at this point.

I can pretty well guarantee your design(s) will evolve once you’ve tried out some possibilities.
But that’s also a gooood thing :wink:

Sorry I guess I am asking more about how to wire, like if I look at my house, the red is one almost uninterrupted line. The green and blue are quite separate from the rest, do I just connect them from the main unit or splice them in somewhere?

Or, (power injection and all that aside) do I just make it all one big long string going red, blue, then green?

My first instinct for the data would be to create 3 strips: Long red (2 strips combined), blue and green.
All the strips would have their data lines (3 separate lines) run inside at the front door(?) or perhaps that 2nd story window (?)

A secondary option would be to additional runs for the “data out” of Blue and Green to the same home run point.

In the first case you connect the 3 separate “data in’s” to 3 different GPIO’s and manage the segments in WLED.

With the second option, you have the option of tying the output of Blue to the input of Green and then the output of Green to the input of Red. Then one GPIO would drive the input of Blue for one large strip.

I’m assuming you keep the MCU indoors and long data runs are handled with differential TxRx pairs.
That keeps the data wiring small and easier to manage.

As you say, power injection is a different story all together (as it should be).