LED's working but random flickers

Hello looking for some advice as I am fresh to the DYI LED. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I am looking to make something similar in my basement as Chris Maher’s video.

equipment I am using is as followed:
BTF lighting WS2811 12V 60led/m (5M strip)
BTF lighting 120V-> 12V power supply 20A
18AWG wire
12v->5V converter
ESP32-WROOM-32 with WLED

esp32 wiring (all soldered):
5v to VIN pin
ground to GND pin
data attached to D2 pin

I was able to setup WLED and select the RBG operation to match the strip in solid mode. All animation seem to work ok. my problem is I am seeing random intense flickering of all the LED’s.

Things to note:
12.1v output from supply
5v at esp VIN pin
At start of strip I am reading 11.8V.
end of strip i am reading 11.6V.

LED 1

What version of WLED did you load?

Do any other effects show similiar flashing?

Try connecting an explicit piece of wire from the ESP board Gnd to the strip Gnd.
Try a different 5V supply, perhaps a USB 2A supply (make sure you keep the ground wire from the ESP32 to the strip).

You can also try decreasing the total brightness to 40% of maximum to test if the 12V supply is glitching out under load.

1 Like

Divsys, thanks for your comment.

I have made two duplicate setups. Both of which are acting the same. All effects are experiencing random flashing as above. Like I said before, the effects work but random flickers are noticed. I am wondering if it is a power issue of sorts. Seems to happen a lot less if my brightness is turned down around 30%.

Thing I have tried to fix:
ran ground direct from ESP to strip.
powered from USB

I have been researching to see if any others having the same problem. Not to much out there. But I did find this video, Seems very similar to the issue i am having at 4:45(second video).
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlQrjFo0ds&list=PLga1jPf8bbczRVbR3VvkkkVu2LjndqDY9&index=4)

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9mLitVxF3c&list=PLga1jPf8bbczRVbR3VvkkkVu2LjndqDY9&index=5&t=61s

Long story short it sounds like the signal voltage is boarder line low. I need to trying a level shifter to up the voltage of the signal. I have ordered a pack and will try when they arrive.

What level shifter did you order?
I only ask because there’s a number of I2C based boards out there that aren’t a good choice for addressable LEDs (too slow).

Cheaper amazon ones, do you have a suggestion?

Those I2C shifters are not recommended and tend to be too slow for addressable LEDs. Here is a list of shifters: Other Hardware - WLED Project

The level shifter fixed the problem, thanks everyone.

1 Like