Multiple GPIO

I’d like to be able to use more than one GPIO pin to drive LED strings and have the ability to select GPIO pin(s) in the config GUI

Working on it!

3 Likes

Great to hear! I didn’t see it in enhancements but I believe I read somewhere in the forums that you were considering adding sd support and ability to play fseq. I think of this happens it will be exactly what I’ve been looking for.

Thanks again for your efforts!

Can you give me any info on how this will look? I am planning on driving one or two RGB strips off a driver module then 50-100 WS2815 LEDs. If I could find ws2815 srtip drivers this would be easy but I have only found P9813 so that will no doublt have to be defined separately on other digital pins.

Ok, well it looks like the WS2811/12 boards are back in stock at NLED, unless anyone knows of a cheaper one, I’m going to order these to avoid the whole multiple IO pins issue.

https://store.nledshop.com/index.php/nled-ws2811-mosfet-driver-module.html

Ah, sorry for the delays!

Those WS2811 boards are probably the best option for you, even when multi pin is supported, just using one output will yield the most stability :slight_smile:

Hi, I’m trying to drive 2 WS28xx identical strings at the same time. Previously, in FastLED, I just defined the array to point to 2 strings, each on 1 ESP pin and it worked just fine. This weekend I tried to simply connect the data lines on both strings to the one output of my level shifter which didn’t work, I got garbage for output. So how do you suggest I do this with WLED since it only drives one Pin?

Connect the ESP output to 2 level shift inputs and use separate level shift outputs?
Somehow mirror the WLED output to 2 ESP pins?

Any input would be appreciated.

If you connect up just 1 LED strip, call it strip A, does strip A work properly?
If you connect up strip B, does strip B work properly?
If both strips A & B work separately, connecting their data pins to the output of the level-shifter should work fine - provided your strips both get power from the same power supply - or both power supplies are bonded together (0V - 0V - GND).

Thanks for the reply.

Both strips are connected to the same power and ground and grounded to the Common ground for ESP and shift register.
Strip A alone works fine
Strip B alone works fine
Strip A+B with data connections put together onto output of SN74HC125N shift register is not working.

How many power supplies do you have? If you have 2, how are they wired?

One power supply, but it is a little more complicated as this is a 12v environment and the ESP and shift register are on a VReg. All grounds are tied together though and this worked off 2 pins from ESP to 2 inputs on Shift register separately driving them. I have considered moving from WS2811 to WS2815 anyway so I’ll test them when I receive them from Aliexpress.

Is your level soldered to a PCB, or on a breadboard (or wiring is easy to change)?
If it’s easy, try jumping the level shifter input to a 2nd level shifter input (assuming your shifter has multiple inputs). I am thinking (without knowing the specs for your level shifter) that 2 LED strips has loaded down the level shifter too much.

As a simple test, insert a ~500Ω resistor in series with the level shifter output with both strips A&B connected in parallel to one side of the resistor, and the other side of the resistor to the level shifter output.

Hi has there been any luck creating a binary using two gpio pins for two different led runs? I have two led strips that meet in the middle where my data line is and same as above if I use the same data pin for both I get randomness on the leds. Both lines work fine by themselves, and I haven’t tried using two different level shifter outputs yet. It would be great to be able to use two different GPIO pins instead.

Thanks for this great work it really is awesome!

Yes, try one data pin to two shifters.

Yeah multiple buttons to assign to different macros would be amazing.