Power supply shorted

Hi there, I just started using wled and upon turning on I noticed my power supply started shorting out (where the 2nd set of power cables connect to the barrel connector). I immediately pulled the plug and then noticed that my WiFi connector started to smoke so I pulled it’s power out too. I redid my wiring into the barrel connector to prevent future shorts and so far so good. I’ve had my strip running under my supervision for about 4 hours now and haven’t had a single problem. I just want to know if it seems safe now? And also why I need power connectors to the WiFi controller if I’m getting power from the power supply.

A quality power supply will always have protection against shorting however this will depend on what you where using. If the supply is protected it should have temporary cutoff the supply output but since you witnessed smoke this may not be the case. Hopefully it was just the cabling getting hot and not any relevant circuitry. Proceed your testing with caution and place the supply on a non flammable surface.
This is one of the reasons I only use converted PC power supplies on all my lighting projects as they are well protected against overloading and shorting.