Syncing Multiple ESP32s for Synchronized Effects on 2000 WS2811 LEDs

Hello WLED Universe,

Hope you’ll are doing well.

I’ve a question regarding my holiday project, I want to use 20 ws2811 Led strings of 100 led per string (20x100 = 2000 Leds), planning to use 2 ESP32s modules to handle 10 + 10 stings (10 strings per ESP for best effects visualization). I want all 20 strings to work in sync, I don’t want to use AP or external router as it may fail something to synchronize when ESPs restart after power outage/cut.

is there any method/way to connect two ESP32 to communicate/Sync as server/client or master/slave using fixed wired (TX/RX or GPIO) connection between two WLED controllers so that all WLED effects/patterns is visible across 20x100 Leds as whole, please note both ESPs are at same place/board.

Let me know if you require any details here or not able to understand my point.

Thanks in Advance,
WLD

Hello WLD,

I’m assuming that you intend to sync standard WLED presets (via JSON API) – i.e. in contrast to some other “exotic” holiday lighting setup like, say, xLights/WLED. In this case, you probably could introduce a third (non-WLED) ESP to your board to serve as a “master”, and borrow from the WLED JSON API over serial example:

• cross-wire the UARTs: master ESP RX and TX to each slave ESP TX and RX, resp (… sharing the UART grounds of course)
  • (non-WLED) master ESP implements a simple loop over your set of WLED preset JSON (e.g. copy-pasted from a WLED slave ESP’s web UI into a table of C++ strings or C char arrays on the master ESP).

Also check this discussion out for more on Arduino-core serial communications issues – particularly Hardware vs. Software serial.

Hope this helps!
Gbd

Thanks @gbd for response, I’m not sure if this will solve my problem.
I just want to connect 20 parallel ws2812 Led strings of 100 leds per string & play effects with WLED, problem is I can’t connect all 20 strings to single ESP so I would need multiple ESPs but the concern is how to sync all ESPs together (without using WiFi/AP i.e need hardware sync) to play all patterns/effects on 20x100 Leds seamlessly.

Please let me know if this can be solved.

Thanks.

This is what I mean:

BTW, have you also considered other non-IP based WLED interfaces such as infrared or GPIO button press via macros?