Analog Strip with LED amplifier, incapable of changing color or brightness

Hello. I am using this setup, as shown in the second image here (Compatible LED strips - WLED Project). The only two differences being:
- I am using an ESP8266 and therefore different GPIO ports.
- I am powering the ESP using the ground and 5V pins, using the same 24V Power supply that is powering my strip. With a step-down buck converter in between.

Now when plugged in, the LED strip lights up at with a bright white light (always at full intensity), regardless of what color I setup in the WLED web interface.
The ESP is running, the WLED interface is working as expected, changing color or brightness just doesn’t do anything.

On the input ports of the LED-Amp, there is a voltage of 0V to a maximum of 3.3V on each channel. When I set blue for example the first channel has an input voltage of 3.3V, channel 2 and 3 a voltage of 0V. Therefore, I assume that the ESP is working correctly.
However, the output voltage is always at 24V on every channel, regardless of the input voltage.

Based on this forum post (Arduino not driving RGB LED Strip - Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange), I have tried connecting the RGB strip’s V+ directly to my power supply, leaving the RGB wires connected to the amplifier, though that did not change/fix anything.
Thanks for any help

My setup:

Hi
@Elius
!!!You need to bridge the GND to the ESP when not connected nothing happens

USE the Vin not the 5V if the stripe got 12V PSU the ESp can take this 12V
your RGBW controller needs 5V on the V+input side

I would highly advise against trying to power your Esp with 12v. Generally the VCC/5v pin is spec’ed for 5V. 12v is a magic smoke risk.

@Jinx the WEMOS D1 Uno R2 shield at 4USD go from 9-24V input on the Boardpower
I use them all on Car Battery 14.4V Stable working on timer for 1Month Timed on and off for the X-mas display show .

THE D1 MINI Board Alone do only cope with 5.2V on the 5V Pin

Hello, thank you for your reply. I tried bridging the ESPs GND to the PSUs GND (I hope that is what you were suggesting).
I added an image below, the red wire is the one I added. However, that did not change anything. Feel welcome to correct my sketch if I wired up anything incorrectly, or misunderstood your advice.

a few things to consider, your buck-converter most likely already bridges the two grounds, no extra wire needed there. your RGB-amp maybe using a 5v control signal. do you have a serial or part-number? maybe we can deduce some more info from that.

If I go off the info in the other forum post link you gave you have to adjust to the following:
link the rgb-amp + to the 3.3V (detach from PSU) ( this is so the V+ on the esp side can be compared to the + signal)
detach the rgb-amp V+ from the strip.
link the strip directly to the psu 24V

This only works if the RGB-amp is designed to handle the low voltage. otherwise you need a step up between the esp and the controller box.

The OP did not say anything about that ‘uno’ board, nor did you when you told them to send 12v to their Esp8266.
-Please try to be clear because if the OP is using a regular Esp8266 and if someone tells them to send 12v to a 5v pin they are VERY likely to end up with broken hardware and or a fire. Not trying to bash you. Just trying to keep everyone from having a possible bad outcome.

@Elius For the heck of it, try powering the Esp from the USB port and see if it works like the pic shows. If it works, then maybe you do need the ground isolation on the controller side.

Since these are Analogue LEDs, you should be able to do some simple tests to troubleshoot.

1. Remove the ESP32 controller completely.
  2. Can you get the individual R,G,B channels to light via the amplifier by either grounding or pulling the amplifier inputs to 5V?
  3. If 5V works, try 3.3V on the inputs (probably won’t work or will be dim)
  4. If all of the above is true, you probably need a levelshifter to drive the ampliifier.