Connecting the data pin to the middle of a strip

Hi. What if my LEDs data pin is soldered in the middle of the strip?
(like this: 1-2-3-4–data–5,6,7,8,…)
Which would mean led 4 and 5 “think” they are the same -> bad.

How would you solve that? Is it possible to make a range of LEDs (like a segment) reverse and connect to another data pin? But still showing the same effect together.
I’ve seen some similar questions on gh but they all were about connecting the pins to the end (where they normally should be) for using more strips individually or parallel.

Hi,

leds have separate data input and output.
Led 4 output connects to led 5 input and so on. Data flows only in one direction.

That means led 4 and lower will not react on the data line from the controller.

You could cut the strip between 4 and 5 and connect led 1 and led 5 to the same controller data pin. Leds 1 to 4 would then show the same as 5 to 8. But backwards is not possible.

WLED can define logical segments that do independent effects, including backwards though if you need this.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

You could cut the led strip in half, flip one side around and put data in the middle. Then both sides will get the same data travelling the correct way.

Yeah, right. I should’ve shown the first strip in reverse order. Otherwise it wont work.
But I still want to use both strips to show one effect, not mirrored. The only solution would be to use different inputs.

Thats why I should’ve been asking:
Is it possible, without a huge rewrite of code, to implement a feature, possibly even expanding the existing segment system, to

1. Assign different segments their own data pin?
  2. Broadcast a continuous effect over multiple segments in a custom order and direction?

I have little understanding of how this would work out, also im definitely lacking the technical implementation details.
If this feature isn’t a waste of time and officially supported, i will seriously consider helping to make it work.

Thanks.

It sounds like you are looking for the esp32_multistrip user mod.

Or buy the Quin digi quad which has 4 outputs from an esp32 pre preprogrammed.

Also the Quin Digi Uno has 2 outputs when paired with an esp32. I’m running 2 strips with an uno and the multi_strip user mod on top of some book cases. The setup works great.

Awesome! I did not expect it to be that easy!
Is this somewhat downgradable for my esp8266?
I only need two pins, that should suffice. But im worried since this seems to use esp32 specific functions.
If thats a problem I might as well buy a esp32 board.

Yeah, I’m not aware of a way to do it with a esp8266.

The first multistrip was done with 8266.