Control 4 WLED stripes simultaneously with one Nodemcu

Hello Together

I have installed 4 WLED strips. Each WLED strip is powered with a separate power supply. My question: Is it possible that I can split the dataport on the NodeMCU ESP8266 with a cable, so that I can control all 4 strips simultaneously with one NodeMCU? I would have to solder a special cable together for this. That would not be a problem. But I don’t know if the functionality is then given that I can control the WLED strips.
Has anyone tried this or any other hint if it works?

Many thanks

Yes, and No, or depends…

Can you connect the inputs of 4 different strips together and drive that from one GPIO of your MCU?
Possibly, 4 inputs is close to the limits of an unbuffered GPIO output and depending on cable length may or may not work as expected.

A better way to make this work would be to use a level shifter as the buffer and drive the 4 strips from that. Even better would be to tie the 4 inputs of a 74AHCT125 together on one GPIO and get 4 separate outputs, one for each strip.

Obviously in this scenario, all 4 strips will show exactly the same colours, effects, etc.

If you want to drive the 4 strips independently with different colours, etc. you’ll have to use 4 different GPIOs on the MCU. That way you’re creating 4 different data streams, one for each strip. Not necessarily recommended as you’ll be taxing the limits of the ESP8266, but it can work. An ESP32 is much better for that scenario.

Much of these concerns depend on the type and # of LED’s you want to drive…

1 Like

Hi @divsys

Thank you very much for your input. This has already helped me a lot to understand the matter. I am lighting the winter garden inside, in a U shape. The length is 6.5m and left and right 3.3m each. So together 13.1m. This gives 786 LED’s. I have the possibility to connect all strips together, that there is finally one single strip. Power is not a problem.

So I should be able to control the lighting with an ESP32 (I still have a few in stock) instead of the ESP8266.

So all LED’s should show the same colors.
Could this work like this?

That could definitely work.
Personally I would just connect them in series so you have one large strip of 786 LEDs.
If you think of the “legs” of your U as A,B, and C, you can just create 3 different segments in WLED with the correct # of LEDs for A, B, and C.
That gives you the option of just applying a single colour or effect to all three legs OR apply different colours as required.
The ESP32 is a good idea for that size of strip.

Thank you very much for the tips, I will try this tomorrow. Am curious if it works :slight_smile:

As suggested, I have now implemented my plan and it works flawlessly. Also the segmentation is very easy to implement and looks great. Thanks again for the help.