Discovery in wled App (Android) stopped

Hi there, I’m running 0.12.0, what an amazing and feature-rich piece of software. and have so many questions that I’m hoping the FAQ and instructions get me through.

One that isn’t there, is what I have done to stop the discovery from working. It started fine and found my first 2 sets of lights while I was testing, but has since stopped.

I flashed a D1 mini (8266) and configured it on my WiFi (using DHCP). It is accessible via my laptop and my mobile, all on the 192.168.1 subnet over my 2.4GHz router. All working fine, but the app won’t find it when using the discovery option. I have checked in the interface that the device is discoverable, and I have enabled and disabled the WiFi sleep connectivity thing. Not sure what else to check on the device as I don’t change much setup for the basic install (WiFi and LED config)

For the app, I have cleared the data, the cache and uninstalled and reinstalled the app and rebooted my phone, but it cannot find my current device.

I flashed 2 other devices, and they are not discoverable either.

When I add the IP address manually, the interface works fine. mDNS is working fine as I can connect on my laptop via IP or the name. In testing on my phone, mDNS does not resolve despite the DNS and Gateway being correctly configured on the phone. Interestingly, if I do a nslookup on my laptop, it can’t find the entry either, so my assumption is that mDNS isn’t working (but did a while ago) and discovery needs that.

I have restarted my router, my D1 and my phone, and still nothing. (not even the nslookup from my laptop)

I believe Octoprint on the Raspberry PI used mDNS, and it is resolvable with nslookup from my laptop, so I think I have ruled out enough to limit the issue to the D1 somewhere, but that doesn’t make that much sense unless the 0.12.0 image changed recently through the web installer?

[EDIT] When I use wireshark to track packets I can see UDP broadcasts on 65506, but nothing else, then when I reboot, I get a lot of mDNS protocol packets, but still nothing is able to see the device. When I start the discovery process on the phone, I see a lot of mDNS activity in Wireshark, but nothing appears to be discovered. (and I still can’t nslookup or ping the name from my mac)

What else could I have broken?

I found mdns-scan and it is reporting the name and services correctly.

pi@bttmnr:~ $ mdns-scan
+ geolair._http._tcp.local
+ geolair._wled._tcp.local
+ geolair._arduino._tcp.local
^Cowsing ... \           
pi@bttmnr:~ $ 

So I’m back to an app problem? the app starts mDNS discovery which the D1 responds to, but the app ignores… like my Mac and Android browsers… Grrrr…

Does the app only look for the _wled service? cuz that doesn’t look to be being sent by the device when discovery is occurring… but does when other types of mDNS stuff is happening?