ESP32 D1 - no WIFI AP being created

Hi, I think I may have some bad hardware but I wanted to double check I’m not doing anything dumb before I send it back, hoping you guys may be able to help.
I’ve got a few WLED lights running on D1 mini ESP8266 boards and they’re great.
Trying to set one up on an ESP32 D1 board from AZdelivery on Amazon, listed as working boards on the WLED github list.
Using the latest .bin with NodeMCU Pyflasher on Mac, flash appears to be sucessful, output below, but theres no AP being created . Have tried all three of the boards that came in the pack but no luck.
Have got all the latest drivers for the USB/Serial chips but no luck.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Terminal output from Flash:

Blockquote
Command: esptool.py --port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART --baud 115200 --after no_reset write_flash --flash_size detect --flash_mode dio 0x00000 /Users/*****/Downloads/WLED_0.12.0_ESP32.bin --erase-all

esptool.py v3.0
Serial port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART
Connecting…
Detecting chip type… ESP32
Chip is ESP32-D0WDQ6 (revision 1)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
Crystal is 40MHz
MAC: 3c:61:05:15:bc:e4
Uploading stub…
Running stub…
Stub running…
Configuring flash size…
Auto-detected Flash size: 4MB
Erasing flash (this may take a while)…
Chip erase completed successfully in 8.4s
Compressed 1262512 bytes to 747382…
Wrote 1262512 bytes (747382 compressed) at 0x00000000 in 66.0 seconds (effective 153.0 kbit/s)…
Hash of data verified.

Leaving…
Staying in bootloader.

Firmware successfully flashed. Unplug/replug or reset device
to switch back to normal boot mode.

Did you follow the WLED wiki for loading up an ESP32? It requires the extra steps of installing a bootloader, and loading the WLED firmware to address 0x10000000…

In your posted session, your firmware got loaded to 0x0… not 0x1…, so at least that is not according to the wiki instructions for ESP32.

Thanks, that tuned out to be the first thing I’d done wrong :slight_smile:
Also turns out that that the usb drivers for mac are sketchy, bootloader + windows PC and I’m good to go.

1 Like