ESP32 Mini, WS2815B + WLED not working

Hi guys,

i am trying to get WLED to run.

I got this Bad Boy

My wiring is this

The Result ist this.

ezgif.com-optimize

Here i also tested a Mic. Regardless of the Microphone. The Flickering is there. I also get a message in the menu that the “Color Palett is not used”. Also the Colors dont Match! Only Blue matches the App.

Here is my config

Thx in advance

The red/green being reversed is easy to fix.

Go into Config, LED Preferences, LED Outputs on the segments and change the Color Order. If its RGB, switch to GRB and vice versa.

1 Like

Thank you. That solved the color-problem.

I missed some information. There are 2 x 1m x 144LED Strips connectect.
If i set “Length” to 30. Everything works fine! But at a length of 200 everything begins to flicker. Do i need a Logic Level Shifter or is my 12v Supply just not good enough?

thx in advance

It’s prolly power issues. Try running the strip at a super low brightness (like 2-5% on the master brightness slider) and if things work better, it’s almost certainly power (even if they don’t, it prolly is, but that usually works when it’s power problems as a simple test)

Once the first LED gets the signal and works, it handles “conditioning” the signal that is sent to the rest of the LEDs, so generally, if the 1st works, you’re OK (though if the wire from the controller to the LED gets longer, you do want to eventually consider level shifting to make things rock solid).

What you are describing sounds like power supply issues. Especially because it works with 30 but starts to fail with 200. 30 only requires about 1.8 amps while 200 will require 12 amps.

Make sure your power supply is large enough (at least 15 and more like 20 amps), make sure the wires from the power supply to the LED strip are large enough 18ga for short runs, 16 or smaller (aka larger wire) for anything over a foot or so) and consider hooking the power supply to both ends of the strip so power is distributed from both ends (reducing voltage loss).

Finally, those strips are super high density and if you run them at anything over 50% or more (matters if you are doing stuff like a single color vs full-power white/all LEDs), they will eventually cook themselves unless they are mounted to something to act as a heat sink.

1 Like

It’s not a PowerSupplyIssue. I plugged it to a LiFiPo4 Battery that can easily supply 50Amps. It still flickers and changes Colors randomly.

I set it to “Static”. There where no effects !

I think its a problem with the Data Line…What do you think?

ezgif.com-optimize

Well, keep in mind it still could be power related. I’ve had at least one instance where I was 100% sure it was not power and after exhausting everything else, it was.

Can’t tell from the pic, but looks like you are supplying power from both ends?

Also, did you try testing it at super low light levels (master brightness slider at like 5%) - if things work more reliably at that, then it likley is power.

If it’s flashing that wildly on a static color and you are 100% sure there isn’t any other effect running, that would be hard to understand. The lights in the video look like they are executing a pattern - I’d expect flickering lights to be a lot more random, but understand that might not come through on a video. Also - check that you don’t have multiple segments and/or that your segment LED #s match your total LED count and the strip. They can get “out of sync” when playing around.

I see what looks like one of those “B” datalines (i.e. 4 leads, not 3) and I’m not sure about those as I haven’t used one yet, though I thought I read they should be grounded (which your schematic suggests).

Also - if all else is failing, try another pin on the ESP32 - some of the pins can have hardware involvement (lack of or presence of external pull ups, drive limitations, etc). Unlikely again, but an easy test (check a few - 2 or 3 other, preferably separated by a few pins in case there are clusters of special purpose IO).

Beyond that, using the static color, I think I’d:

1. Select static and a single color (R, G OR B)
  2. If it still flickers, set LED count to 30
  3. If that works, test a few combos (R+G, R+B and white)
  4. If that works, add 30 more LEDs to the count (i.e. 60) and repeat

I can’t say that will expose something, but that would be my approach - get something work and slowly increase “something” until it breaks and try to figure out the exact “break” point and hope that is enlightening.

EDIT: I was wrong… Looks like you do tie the backup signal to GND… Is it tied to ground right at the strip? Maybe getting noise in the backup signal line? Your diagram shows two runs from GND to the strip… you might want to try jumpering Backup to Ground right at the strip if that’s how you ran it.

Original below:
Have you confirmed the wiring to the LED strip? It’s a 2815 with 4 pin connectors apparently… if that’s a dual signal strip shouldn’t the two inner pins both be tied to your signal? You have one tied to ground… shouldn’t the Din and Bin (data and backup) both be tied to the signal output from your controller?

All the Posts i know of about the Backup Data Line say that it has to be grounded.

Yeah. Just learned that. Is the connection to ground close to the strip?

Well it is 5 cm away. I think that constitutes as close.

LEDs over 5V really need a shifter. :wink: 5V is a maybe.

I did it.

I hooked up a Logic Level Shifter and wired it to this specifications.

That solved everything.

I want to add a capacitor for more smoothness and stability. Anyone knows how i can calculate the size of that capacitor?

Thx everyone

We recommend 1000uF with a voltage rating over what you are using. This should be at the start of your LEDs.