Flashing/ strobing first pixel

Hi community,

I’m getting a persistent white flashing or strobing on the first pixel of WS 2812B fairy strings from BTF Lighting, regardless of which effect I’m using. I tried skipping the first led in config (no change). This light string came with its own controller (which I cut off) and I didn’t see this problem with it, so I’m not inclined to think it’s an issue with the string. To be sure, I tried it on another string – same problem, except in this case, pixel #1 stays on in a steady state (white) when I switch it off in software. Any thoughts? Thanks.

You need to post the version of wled you are using and your hardware setup with some pics of connections. :wink:

Very simple setup, as you can see. WLED latest – 0.14.0-b3
A standard 5v supply from BTF; an ESP32 board that gets 4-1/2 stars on Amazon, and that I’ve used successfully before.

I’ve noticed that I’m also getting random colour flashes throughout the string, no matter the effect. I’m going to try putting in a “sacrificial pixel” close to the board.

“sacrificial pixel” solved the problem. I didn’t think the distance from the ESP32 to the first pixel on the string was that much, but as it turns out, it was.

Good. Here is the right way to use one…

Better to use a real shifter. :smiley:

1 Like