Flickering and NOT flickering on same LED strip

Okay, i’ve tested the same wiring with ESPHome, and no flickering, everything works. Never less if i use low brightness or high, effects and so on works. So it seems to be a bug in WLED :thinking:

What version of WLED are you using?
I recall a flickering issue being addressed recently.
Certainly worth a try with v0.13.3

I’ve tried 0.13.3 and 0.13.2 ( to check if its an regression ) But on both the same effect. I just wondering why its just the first LED and not the whole stripe :thinking: Some adressing issue ? :thinking: ( just guessing, i’ve not checked the protocoll for WS2813 and not know how it works in detail :sweat_smile: )

If it’s confined to one (the first) LED, I’d try cutting that LED out (or at least bypassing) to see if it’s limited to that particular device.

I can try this, but well, with ESPHome the first LED reacts normal :thinking: ESPHome uses the NeoPixelBus-Library i am not aware what WLED uses for the whole WS28XX-Stuff

( I really understand that this is a nasty edge case and of course hard to debug without special equipment , and of course, it can be that this particular chips of this LED-Stripe reacts strange and the NeoPixelBus-Lib does something to detect this, i will check the bugs of this library, maybe they had the same issue in the past :slight_smile: )

As an experiment, try and download the ESP32 version of V.0.13.3 I built using the Discord Bot

If you look at the details, you’ll see I forced that version to build using rev 2.7.0 of the NeoPixelBus library (the most recent). The current “regular” builds of WLED have been using 2.6.9 due to some potential conflict issues with other versions of WLED (I think).

That 2.7.0 build seems to work fine for me with both RGB and RGBW strings. I don’t have any WS2813 to test so I’d be interested if it makes any difference to your case.

Hello.
thanks @stackshadow to post here. I’m still trying to find this issue.
Thanks @divsys for your hints.

At the moment my WS2813 LED strip are not working with WLED. I’m already using them with an SP107E by BTF-Lightning.

Unfortunatly I cannot do what @blazoncek suggested: is it not possible to replace WS2813 with WS2812B because I have to destroy my project and do it from the beginning.
Also I think that using another chip will not help us to find what is not working with WS2813.

I’m trying to do my best, using also lab instruments (as yu can see in the first post).
I hope that I can help the WLED development.

You’d could try the same .bin I suggested to @stackshadow and try with WLED.
Certainly won’t hurt…

I am suggesting to hook WS2812 to your controller temporarily to test if hardware wiring is without issues as WS2812 and WS2813 share the same protocol.

I do have 12V version, WS2815, connected to two controllers on my house (@srg74 Wemos shield) with BI connected to GND and they behave correctly regardless of brightness setting.

Yes, the wiring are perfect. If I connect my LED strips to an SP107E they works like a charm.

Hello,
I have some good news: it seems that I definitively fixed the issue!
I did lot of tests with buffers and WS2813: It’s clear that there is something wrong with the 1st LED of every strip.
Since ther is no way to fix this issue in software, I developed a PCB with a simple WS2813 and a buffer, and I putted it into mi WLED case.

This is the “stip size” version.

and this is the tiny version.

The LED on this PCB is still flichering, but the others works like a charm!

2 Likes