Has Anyone Used This ESP Flasher

After recent issues regarding flashing an ESP32 with esphome flasher and filesystem memory errors, I found this flasher.

https://i2.wp.com/iot-bits.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ESP32-flash-download-tool-tutorial.png?resize=668%2C914

It seems to operate within a windows environment. Has anyone used this Espressif tool and if so with what success.

I’ve never heard of problems with ESPHome Flasher. What was the issue?

When using homeflasher on an ESP32 dev board I only get a filesystem size of 61kb which according to Aircoookie should be nearer 1500kb. This was limiting the amount of presets I could store (max 49).

All on this thread (Error 11 - Not Enough Memory Space)

I did use that tool before. What is the question?

I wanted to try out this flasher tool hence asking if people had used it. Just wondered what settings were used for the Wled binaries.

It simple as day. You can see example on their website. Just put correct offsets for different files. Files you can grab from .pio in platformio after you compile code. Only one file is not there it’s a boot loader.

Here is exactly what you have been asking for:
In platformio open a new terminal and type: pio run -v -t upload When you see the “Connecting…” abort the upload. Above this you see the esptool command, that was used by platformio. In this command we can find all files that we need for building the binary. Here a picture for visualisation:

Here you can see where the files should be adressed. Now download the official ESP Flash Download Tool: https://www.espressif.com/en/support/download/other-tools Start it and select Developer Mode > ESP32 Download Tool. Now set up everything like in the picture:
Tools | Espressif Systems

Downloads: SDK & Demos, APKs, Tools and Documents for Espressif Systems products and solutions

Now click CombineBin and than you have your binary file with bootloader.
All credits to @Woody

1 Like

Many thanks for the detailed info.
I shall try out this method shortly. Hopefully this tool will sort out my Wled filesystem memory size issues I encountered when using ESP home flasher and programming ESP32 dev boards.

Happy Holidays!

And to you and everyone else who makes this group a pleasure to be part of.

Should this be updated for the new partition setup?

In 2022, should we now be using " esp32_bootloader_v4.bin"
rather than "boot_app0.bin’?
With offset 0xe000?

@ srg74 Going from what I see here:

Should we use the a partitions file from here?

Should we use the bootloader_dio_40m.bin file from here?

These settings do NOT produce a programmed ESP32 module.

You can use different flasher WLED-wemos-shield/resources/Firmware/WLED_ ESP_Flasher at master · srg74/WLED-wemos-shield · GitHub

Are you saying that the ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL (from ESP) doesn’t work with WLED any more?
If ESP32 DOWNLOAD TOOL still works, could you share the correct settings that work?
Thanks.

Here is source files GitHub - srg74/ESP_Flasher at WLED_modification

My questions are:

1. what are the correct files to go into the file boxes of the ESP32 FLASH DOWNLOADER TOOL?
  2. are both bootloader files needed (or just one?)

One bootloader.

I found the specific information I needed here:
https://kno.wled.ge/basics/install-binary/

@ tonyno @ ModelmanThese settings produced a working WLED installation in a ESP32 Wemos mini board.

The current bootloader is “esp32_bootloader_v4.bin” offset 0x0000
The desired firmware .bin file has offset 0x10000
It appears that no partitions file is needed.

1 Like