How do I get WLED to Compile on Arduino IDE?

Hi,

I’ve download all the WLED files from GitHub and fired up WLED00 on ArduinoIDE.
I now want to get a clean compile so I’ll need to add all the various dependant libraries
I notice on the github wiki under Contributors and Credits, you’ve listed used libraries and dependencies but I’m not sure this is exhaustive.
For instance the compiler complains that it can’t find the file esp_wifi.h on the wled.h page
I must admit, I’m also struggling to find it myself!
Any ideas?

Sorted that out now - May have not had the board correctly selected :-
Now working through the other compile errors but no longer stuck
Sorry to disturb . . .

BOOM! Clean compile!

2 Likes

I have a fork of WLED and wrote some instructions on compiling from a fresh install of the Arduino IDE at:

1 Like

Nice one Johnny,

I’ll head over there and compare it to what I have done
I’t will also be nice to know what changes you have made to your fork.
It may well help me figure out how to implement my changes

Just checked you out - Sound reactive LEDs - Brilliant!
I so much want that functionality :slight_smile:

FYI, I’ve been running Johnny’s fork for over a week 24/7 and not a hiccup.

Arduino noob here (ok, microcontroller noob tbh). I’ve been passed a couple of Arduino Nano units, and was wondering if there is a WLED binary available for the Nano, or some step-by-step recipe for building one? (This will hook up to 50 WS2811 LEDS / 5v)
Many thanks.

wled is only for ESP32/8266.

The “point” of WLED is WiFi control of LEDs. So it doesn’t support microcontrollers without WiFi. It is built on top of several other libraries. You need to go down a level and look into FastLED. That should on your Nanos.

Thanks, yes, after some more reading I’ve realised WLED & Arduino don’t mix, but Fastled/Neopixel libraries are there instead.
Cheers.

The “point” of WLED is WiFi control of LEDs. So it doesn’t support microcontrollers without WiFi. It is built on top of several other libraries. You need to go down a level and look into FastLED. That should on your Nanos.

I think WLED can run on ESP32 with an ethernet port. In fact, I know it can. @Quindor has developed and demonstrated a custom PCB with ESP32 / ethernet running WLED. Sure, the ESP32 is also capable of wifi, so it does meet your “point”, but I did not want that newer and probably growing segment of WLED installs that will run over wired networking.

Much better for running xLights shows, and, of course, better network security.

@GSVNoFixedabode There is no rule (as far as I know) preventing someone from porting WLED to run on an Arduino device. I should think VS Code & PlatformIO would be of great help porting over WLED to an arduino-based device. After all, WLED is developed in the “arduino platform” where people have done great work making ESP8266/ESP32 code feel like arduino code. They succeeded to the point where WLED can be built using the arduino development software.