How to get Ethernet Working with ESP32-Ethernet Kit by Espressif

Hello there!
I am trying to get Ethernet working with a board that I have (ESP32-Ethernet-Kit V1.2 Getting Started Guide - ESP32 - — ESP-IDF Programming Guide latest documentation)

When installing WLED, I checked the Ethernet box, but I am not able to get it working. Is this a hardware related issue?
I was able to write a custom firmware using esp-idf and have ethernet working on this board, but I’d like to use WLED as it is much more feature-rich.

Ideally I wouldn’t even need to enter the wifi password to be able to setup the board.

In the UI, when going in the wifi settings of the board, any dropdown option I choose makes the page reload for a very long time before becoming unresponsive (I have to refresh the page to make it work again).

Ethernet still won’t be actually enabled until you go to the WiFi settings page and select the appropriate Ethernet mode at the bottom.

Hi, Thanks for your reply :smiley:
Maybe it wasn’t clear in my original message, but I did exactly that. I don’t know what mode I should choose so I tried them all, but it didn’t work.

Looks like the right choice should be “KIT-VE”.
The board manual mentions some possible modifications to change clock source, those should NOT be done.

1 Like

Hi again! Thank you so much for your quick replies :smiley:
When I select “KIT-VE” (or any other option for that matter), the board is still using wifi after.
After deleting the wifi ssid from the board (and selected an ethernet mode), the board can’t connect to my local internet anymore.
Also, when pinging the board from my ethernet connected computer, I have a 8ms latency, but I would expect a sub 1ms latency between 2 devices communicating through ethernet (I have 0.5ms latency computer->esp with the firmware I wrote)

Is there any additional documentation available on ethernet support with WLED?

I have WT32-ETH01’s which have Link/Act LEDs that make it a little more obvious, but once the Ethernet mode is selected they switch “as you’d expect”, if Ethernet is connected they use that, if not they go to WiFi, if that’s not available either they start the AP (I’ve set the AP to “Disconnected” so it starts if no other connection is present).

Looks like the KIT-VE selection is the right one so I’d suspect something wrong with the board or cable…
Did you use the same board with your other firmware? Same pin modes as in the WLED code?

Did you use the same board with your other firmware?

Yes, and the same cable too. That cable also works with my laptop

Same pin modes as in the WLED code?

I used a library to handle the Ethernet init, so I don’t know the specifics. https://components.espressif.com/components/espressif/ethernet_init

Here is the firmware I wrote that works with the exact same setup I am using atm.

Again, thank you so much for your help this is amazing :smiley:
The simplest solution short term would probably be to just get some WT32-ETH01 like you have.

If you get some make sure to do the cap mod or they won’t boot reliably:

But yeah out of ideas for your board without having one.
I have a Lilygo T-Internet PoE that I have yet to try with WLED too, but has been working fine for another project.