LED strip on the stairs

Hey guys,

I`m new to led strips and I’m trying to put led strips on the steps of the stairs … I’m currently on the 4th step and when i test out it works, however the fade-in seem a bit jerky and just like 3 intensity steps … when i test it with fewer leds it works fine.

This is how i wired them … the ledsstrips have like 65 leds~ per step in them.

i use these strips: SK6812 RGBW (5m 60 IP30)

and this power supply: aliexpress.com/item/32670505021.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.18224c4d3Ajn5K (60a)

i’ve tried to make a video of it but my phone has automatic apeture so cannot seem to capture it right.

its also noticeable when I change colors.
its still hard to see but you can see it a bit.

Does anyone know what im doing wrong?

That looks like you are using an older version.

Hey Tonyno, thank you for you reply, i`m running WLED_0.9.1_ESP8266 to my knowledge this is the latest version.

Hmm. That just looks like what I recall being fixed in an update to FastLED.

Did you downloaded a BIN or compile yourself?

I’ve downloaded the bin file, not quite sure anymore which one i installed the WLED_0.9.1_ESP8266.bin or WLED_0.9.1_ESP8266_1M_full.bin … i tought this would be more of a hardware issue as it seems to work with fewer leds but i use a 60a power supply i should be able to have more leds on it.

I would guess that data line is the problem. ESP outputs 3.3 volts and the led strip works with 5 volts.
It is just enough for a short installations but given more length the line impedance increases. This causes more voltage drop and not all data bits going in. Or if it is software related, I don’t know.

But worth to try at least. Easiest to buy some ready 3.3->5v converter.

thnx @taikapanu ill look into that.

This is the result as it is now if anyone is interested

1 Like

Looks very cool!

Is one step one segment or how it is configured?

How many leds you have?

@Lejon

Can you tell me how you configured your leds? I want to build the same thing. But I’m struggling lighting the steps up one at a time (from top to bottom of bottom to top).

I’m also stuck with the max number of segments (10) while I have 18 steps. So your input would be appreciated :smiley:

Have you seen the latest usermod on this, written on my stairs?

Thnx,
It’s not configured step by step no, the animation is moving from left to right but going so fast in the video so it seems its going up.

so the atm the whole stairs goes on or off at the same time.

I used about 1000 leds for this and ended up with 2 d1 minis, i guess i can use 1 but had some animation troubles with too many leds on 1.

nice it’s a fun project to do. I don’t have them configured step by step just all on or all off with a vl53l0x sensor at the bottom and top of the stairs.

The only way of doing this that i could find is coding the effect ourselfs. I didn’t really dive into this yet.

Nice, this looks great. Thnx for sharing.