LEDs turn on, but I can't control them

H all,

I’m having trouble getting my 1st LED project set up. Earlier in the year I bought a single string of WS2811 lights (Rextin from Amazon) and got them working using an old computer power supply I had. In Nov I decided to try installing Christmas lights on the house, and have all the physical installation ready to go, but now I can’t get the lights to work. I have:

–An ESP8266 controller, plugged in to a breakout board
–A 5VDC power supply powering the chip
–An external 12V power supply powering the strip
–Data wire connected to DI4, configured for GPIO2
–Running WLED Version 0.14.0 (build 2310130)

When I initially turn on power, LEDs light up, but it’s more LEDs than are configured in LED setup (i.e. if I say there are 45 LED, 48 will turn on right away, and then after a few seconds another will turn on for a total of 49). The number of “extra” lights doesn’t seem consistent.

When I hit the “Power” button in the app, all the lights flicker briefly (< 0.5 sec). If I’ve turned the power off, the lights go to a solid color (but not all the same color, mostly white, but some green, blues, and reds thrown in for fun). If I’ve turned the power on, the lights change colors in no discernable pattern even though the effect selected is “Solid”.

Changing the effect changes the pattern of blinking, but not much else, and I have no control at all of color or brightness.

I would really appreciate any help I could get, thanks!

Do you have a common ground connection between the 12v supply and the controller to enable data return?

Alan

No I didn’t. I connected the ground of the 5V and 12V power supplies, and looks like the issue is fixed.

Thanks, now on to the next problem :wink: