My PCB for ESP32 with 8 LED channels

Hello,

I’d like to show you a PCB I have created (my first for WLED). It is driven by a Wemos D1 Mini ESP32 clone and allows up to 8 channels of addressable LED strips. It contains a DC/DC converter and an 8-channel level shifter. 4 additional inputs (buttons, IR Remote) are available.

I had some instabilities with my Wemos clones since they contain a weak 5V/3V converter. So the board allows to power the ESP either with 5V (Jumper J1) or with 3V3 (add a cheap AMS117 module instead of J1).

The 2 capactitors are optional. C2 is recommended.

Let me know what you think about it and if you are interested in scheme and gerber files.

Kind regards,
Michael.

Update: Here are the project ressources: WLED 8-CH - EasyEDA open source hardware lab

3 Likes

I’m interested of this project is 8 channels maby over
kill ?

Hello,

I have added a link to my shared project in the initial post. 8 Channels is exactly me need since I’m building a star with 8 independent beams in my kid’s room. Anyway it does not affect costs weather a 4ch or 8ch level-up converter is used (I bought this one for 1€) and the esp32 has plenty of GPIOs.

Before you order a PCB, note that I have tested the circuit on a prototype board but not have tested the PCB yet (waiting for the PCB to arrive). If you are from germany, I can send you one by mail (I ordered 5 since that’s the minimum quantity at JLCPCB).

Kind regards,
Michael.

Received the boards in less than a week. Looking forward to test it :wink:

Edit: All works very well. I have updated the PCB a bit for better component spacing (I cannot see the update online yet. JLC may need a while untill it is reviewed).

2 Likes

I am a bit low on electronics. Just wanted to know if this will work with 12v input ?

Yes, it looks like it was designed to hold a Mini 360 buck converter. So it wouldn’t handle 24v input but 12v would be fine. https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832396667591.html

Thanks for the reply. It might be asking for too much, but do you mind sending me links of all the components that you ordered to assemble this ? Also if possible an image of the completed project.

Thanks in advance.

The OP only posted 3 times almost a year ago, so I wouldn’t count on it. But it is a pretty simple design and the OSHL link has all the info you should need.

Input is 6…30V, I’m using this Buck converter: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003880321464.html (It’s actually a “buck” step down converter, no boost - I need to update the labels). It’s not the Mini-360 but a similar with fixed output voltage.

The ESP32 is https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001413672426.html, I just picked the 1st link, there are plenty of suppliers.

The 5V to 3V3 converter is https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005002829381037.html

The transceiver/level shifter is available at https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/SN74HCT245N. I got mine from ebay.

Capacitors can be obtained by ebay.

Is there anything missing?

Hello! I’ve found this PCB to be a perfect fit for my needs. So first off, thank you for the design and links!

Unfortunately, I ordered a round of them from JLCPCB and, upon assembly, found that I couldn’t get any led data output. In tracking it down, it seems I have a stray trace from the LED Out pins to ground… All LED pins, and their coordinating resistor outputs, have continuity between each other and to ground.

I’ve gone through the gerber file in your link, which I used to buy from JLCPCB, and can find no sign of this trace. I am assuming this is manufacturing defect and I’ve reached out to JLC, but just wanted to ask here and confirm I’m not crazy… This is indeed wrong, correct?

Again, thanks for the design and I look forward to having functioning boards!

Alright, I got a respond from JLC and it seems the traces between the resistor pin out and the led pins are touching the bottom layer which is routed to ground. I verified this is true in @micw links for the files. My guess is that it got screwed up when you re-spaced the board after your initial prototype.

I’ve found I can use the boards I have if I just don’t use a resistor and connect the LED direct to the resistor input pin instead. But wanted you to know before you go have another round printed!

Damn. I’m very sorry for this! I must have moved some components a tiny bit without noticing.

I have re-run the auto-router, the issue is fixed now. Thank you a lot for reporting.

Edit: where do you live? Maybe I can send you 1 or 2 of my Rev. 1.0 boards. It’s the same but with standing resistors (see Pictures above).
Edit2: I wonder if the outputs of the level shifter have no GND contact (unfortunately there’s only a low-res picture available after I updated the board). You should check it, if so I would not use the board.

Nah, no worries! Stuff happens, lol.

The level shifter looks like it only has ground contact where it’s supposed to! I’m just going to run these boards without resistors. This is my first attempt at building WLED with anything more than just the board, I’ve always had good reliability without resistors or capacitors or level shifters… So I have a fair expectation it should work without the resistors. It’s all a grand experiment after all!

I appreciate the offer to send a board, but now I’ve got 30 of these ones to get through! Lol. Luckily they’re pretty cheap from PLC so I’m not concerned.

Thanks for all your help!

Does anyone have pictures of a finished board? Would love to see how everything is laid out post component placement.

Not actually a finished one (the are all built in somewhere). Here’s a board with most of the components placed:

The AMS117 and C2 are is missing and I did not put all the resistors in (just one as an example). The ESP should be either put on pin headers or on a socket (I prefer the later).
To connect the LED data pins, I use pin headers.

Sounds amazing. 30*8 data lines, that can drive several km of WLED stripes.

Yeaaaah lol. I don’t go THAT crazy. Believe it or not I’m a lighting designer at my local college for theatrical productions and I’ve used WLED on a few projects there. Wifi sACN from an MA2, always ran ESP8266 boards. Not sure how the heck it took me so long to realize how underpowered those are, compared to the 32’s. But once I made the switch to the 32’s is how I found your board! lol.

Nonetheless I suspect these 30 are gonna last me a while :joy:

Project is update on link WLED 8-CH - EasyEDA open source hardware lab ?
Thanks

Yes. That’s Revision 1.1 which has laying resistors (because I felt that bending the standing transistors is unnecessary effort and the result looked more ugly ^^).

Knissone has tested the board and found an issue caused by a slightly moved components which is fixed in the linked version.

Perfect, i will try these boards, thanks.
Have you heard of any diy powerboard like QuinLED-Dig-Octa System power 5 ?