No correct function with more than 168 LEDs

Hello
I have 336 5V WS2812 RGB LEDs behind a level shifter. These are divided into 4 segments of 84 LEDs each, where there is always a 5 V supply.
If I connect 84 or 168 LEDs to a GPIO, everything is OK. If I connect more, I get wrong colours at the beginning of the chain and after approx. 60 LEDs. When I switch off WLED, some LEDs flash and stay on until I disconnect them from the power supply. However, this only occurs if there are more than 168 LEDs. Does anyone have an idea what this could be?
I have tried:
another ESP with a newer WLED version
a different Leveshifter
a different wiring system with extremely short cables

How many WLEDs can be connected in series as a string? Can it be that you are not allowed to go over a certain number (adress of led controller)?

At first guess, I’d suspect a power issue giving you too much voltage drop after 2 strings. You may need some power injection points.
Also check for proper power and ground connections along your entire setup.
As far as a specific number of LEDs being “fixed”, that’s usually a config problem where WLED hasn’t been set with the correct number of LEDs.

What ESP board are you using and what version of WLED?

Thank you for your answer
I am using an ESP32 with the latest version Hoshi WLED 0.14.0 (build 2310130) and/or an ESP with Toki 0.13.3
It can’t be due to the power supply, as I feed in 5 V again after 84 LEDs (measured 4.98V)
Config LED Preferentces:
Start 0 Length 336, ofrefresch On
A segment0 Start 0 stop 168 offset0 grouping1 spacing0 is ok
A segment0 Start 0 stop 200 offset0 grouping1 spacing0 is not ok as described above

Sounds like power is probably OK, maybe try at 40% brightness as a final test.
What type of levelshifter are you using and how is it wired?

On the software side of things:
Do you have different saved presets and/or multiple segments?

Multiple segments that overlap can cause some weird flickering and lighting inconsistencies.

On one ESP I have a SN74HCT125 and on the other ESP the 4 channels IIC I2C Logic Level Converter Bidirectional Module 3.3 V to 5 V Shifter for Arduino.
Identical problem with both.
Yes, I have 2 different saved presets to control the LED’s onc in colour and once in white.
they only differ in colour/white.
Preset and start are always made on the first one.
I will delete the second one right away to test it

Stick with the 74HCTxxx shifters. The IIC versions can be problematic with addresable LEDs.

Definitely start with a simple setup and work your way up.

hello
it looks like it’s the WT32-ETH01
I have now used d1 mini (8266) and it works.
unfortunately i have no WLAN coverage at this point, which is the reason why i want to use the network cable there.

If your setup works with another controller, I’d agree it’s probably the WT32-ETH01 somehow.

How are you flashing the WT32-ETH01?
If you can, you might try a hardware flash with the WLED-Github installer

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a difference to the installer I always use?
I am someone who chooses the path of least resistance
All my ESP’s are being fueled this way.with

install.wled.me

I do not compile myself to avoid errors

For a “usual” install, there’s no difference.
The github site has been useful for people with special needs.
Hopefully it will help your setup.

Worst case, you might end up trying the compile yourself route (if possible).

I have found the error. :disappointed_relieved:
It is in the LEDs!!!
Aliexpress
I have ordered the 20 metres. I built several segments with 84 LEDs each.
Each segment works on its own. Only when you connect them in series, e.g. 336 LEDs, it does not work.
I have written to the seller and received the following replies:

hello,they are fixed address.
the factory only says they are fixed address, we also do not understand, that need to know the programme

Now I also understand the one negative commentary

Customer Reviews
The strips are programmed wrongly. Those LEDs needs to be programmed by the manifacturer for the correct ID before shipping. The producer does not understand what he is doing, he just takes 2 10m strips and solders them together. This doen not work.

Seller’s Reply
Hello,dear customer,please read the product details, these string have preset address,they are not like the ws2812b can be programmed individually,thanks!

Ok, that makes perfect sense.
Your LEDs are addressable, but only up to a point (that sounds like up to 100 or so).

The only way you can make fixed address LEDs work (with WLED) in numbers larger than their fixed address is with multiple GPIOs. Unfortunately the ESP8266 is probably the wrong chip for this. The ESP32s will give you many more GPIOs to use.