This is to document a behaviour I observed yesterday.
When sending E1.31 data to WLED, it works fine when both WLED and sender are connected via a WiFi access point. When sender connects to WLED directly, not.
- WLED on ESP8266 d1 mini
- LEDs are SK6812, but that probably doesn’t matter here
- 40A 5v power supply, using the first SK6812 as level shifter
- WLED Version 0.9.1
- Sender : a python script using https://pypi.org/project/sacn/ , using the simple send example with unicast (entering the IP of WLED as target, not multicast), running on Windows 10, Python 3.8.2
- Both WLED and sender connected to same WiFi AP (proper Unify WiFi hardware) - works like a charm (ping, wled web interface, E1.31)
- WLED not connecting to WiFi but opening own AP: ping works, WLED web interface works, E1.31 not)
I will let this stay here for others as a warning and also change the E1.31 wiki page to share this observation, pointing to this forum entry for more info.