WLED 0.14 DMX inconsistency

I installed WLED 0.14 and am blown away by the matrix effects. They are great, and I’m also very pleased with the other matrix configuration options as well.

I run my panels from Falcon Player, and the performance is great. When the 2D Setup is set to 1D Strip, my DMX show is flawless. If 2D Setup is set up as a Matrix, it works great with WLED effects, but incoming DMX effects are scrambled. It seems that there is some mapping going on that is other than ‘serpentine.’ Again, it works fine in 1D.

My goal is to display the WLED matrix effects when the Falcon Player show isn’t running. I haven’t found a way to make that work without having to flip the 2D Setup mode in Settings.

Does any of this sound familiar?

As far as external devices are concerned matrix is represented as a non-serpentine in WLED.

What does that mean? “serpentine” is an attribute that is applied to the mapping of the primary string into a matrix. When a pixel is addressed by number in matrix mode, that number is passed through some sort of transformation function to arrive at the proper string address. In other words, the Effects generator in WLED makes single-string effects and then passes them through an address translation to arrive at the serentine address. When the effects come from the outside, i.e. through ACN or E1.31, the address translation MUST NOT be done. Address1 should map to the first pixel, and so on, to the end.

To be sure, I’m using xLights with WLED to produce effects. It works very well and I’m happy, as long as WLED is configured for 1D. When the 2D switch is thrown, AND the serpentine option is selected, the pixel mapping takes place. Such pixel mapping should not take place when the data source is ACN/E1.31. The controlling software (xLights) already accounts for this (the serpentine pattern).

Yes, I could redo my light models in xLights by renumbering the alternating rows. Then, however, the xLights will reflect a virtual hardware layout instead of an actual one.

So, while there is the workaround of remapping my xLights configuration, it still seems incorrect since the ACN/E1.31 behavior changes between 1d and 2d modes.

As I stated before, I can just leave WLED in the 1D position and continue using xLights as before. The limitation caused by this problem only inhibits my use of WLED’s built-in matrix effects.

To long to read sorry , i just noticed the word xlights does not work with wled when the unit is in 2D . That part has being tested and xlights will work just fine XLight, WLED and Matrix in one port - #2 by ALDIY , last test i did with ddp but i think it will work with others

… the address translation MUST NOT be done

That is what you think. :slight_smile:
Adjust your xLights or do not use 2D.

Food for thought: I have a matrix that is non-serpentine or, to put it the other way, my 1D LEDs always start on the left. How do I configure xLights then? :wink:

Food for thought? Thanks for the snack! Whenever a matrix is constructed with string lights, I.e. not strip lights or panels, AND the rows are shorter than the string, it will ALWAYS be strung in a serpentine pattern. It’s a matter of convenience that nobody wants to pass up. Otherwise, you’re cutting, lengthening, and splicing wires all over the place.

The beauty is that you can do all the cutting and splicing in (xLights) software, no matter how they are arranged. The way WLED works in 2D mode spoils that! To use WLED in 2D, you have to configure xLights to WLED’s virtual model while ignoring the actual physical layout. This is a second level of indirection that serves no apparent purpose.

And finally, the gold standard of pixel controllers, the Falcon F-16 does not do this. You get the pixel that you’ve pointed at. The Falcon knows nothing about matrices and yet it works very well with all of them.

It’s not the job of WLED to define the matrix layout in synchronous mode. There are no row and column addressing modes in e1.31 for a reason. They don’t make sense.

Don’t get me wrong as I’m a huge fan of WLED. I’ve used it in dozens of projects. I will keep using it.

henever a matrix is constructed with string lights, I.e. not strip lights or panels, AND the rows are shorter than the string, it will ALWAYS be strung in a serpentine pattern.

It will not.

It does not, it is just your interpretation. As said, consider a matrix as a non-serpentine top-left to bottom-right arrangement of LEDs regardless of how actual LEDs are connected or wired.
This is due to the fact that in WLED a matrix can have gaps (missing pixels/LEDs), LEDs be oriented bottom-to-top or any other way and still work as a matrix.

This is not going to change. If you are not satisfied please continue using other products for streaming effects.

Consider this layout where all panels have a start in the center of the matrix.

Honestly, I don’t get your point but judging by how angry I’m making you, it seems odd.

You’re also a person of few words. “It will not.” is hardly an argument. It’s pretty clear to me that, from one programmer to another, we’re not communicating well (assuming you’re a programmer). We don’t know what each other knows, but despite that, I have been able to determine that you aren’t interested in discussing this. Truth be told, evidently, few people are.

Sorry for the intrusion.

Since it is okay to judge then some may say you are a person of many words that is not related to topic , no need for that , if you can not setup xlights with e1.31 then we can ask one of the kids to try if you share your setup . If you can code ( like everyone here by the way ) then look at source and find what is wrong with wled and then maybe write few words on gh that could be replicated by others

I’m sorry that I’ve offended you guys. WLED is great software and it keeps getting better!

If I could make one suggestion, it would be that there should be a configuration option on the e1.31 section that chooses whether to apply e1.31 commands to the 1D or the 2D configuration.

Nobody’s angry. Nobody offended.

You will need to ask xLights developers to add support for non-serpentine (or irregular panel setup) matrix support. WLED will handle virtual-to-physical mapping. That’s all there is to it.

Or use non-2D mode of WLED and let xLights handle mapping.

BTW, my life is too short to provide long (and possibly confusing) answers that nobody will read.