WLED to power external relay

I am a WLED and Xlights user and have had some good results using ESP8266’s.
I would like to power some high power led spot lights to use in an Xlights sequence.
I know that the ESP can trigger external circuitry to switch an external load but rather than use multiple controllers I am considering using the actual light output from spaced leds on a string to trigger a light sensitive circuit and subsequent relay to switch on the spots. I am thinking of 4 spots spaced out over a 50 led long string, with one circuit every 12 leds.
I am looking at using some phototransistors in conjunction with a transistor/mosfet/relay to switch on the load
By using the correct effect and speed on both WLED and Xlights I should be able to get the lights to pulse at the correct time.
Are there any issues or pit falls that anyone can see before I give it a go?
Any advice to circuit design would be appreciated.
Alan

You can probably get the same or better control by just adding 4 “strips” to WLED where each strip is just one LED. The GPIO for each strip would directly drive the circuit for your floods. Likely you use the same circuit that would go after your phototransistor and just attach it to the GPIO. You can use segments/ledmaps/grouping/etc. with those LEDs to trigger them when you want.

That way you’re driving the spots directly and you use the tools in WLED (for eg. Ledmap) to put them where you’d like in the real world display.

I bought some Worldsemi WS2811 controller chips to use in a kinetic display. The project didn’t happen but I may do it anyway just for fun.

Think of the 2811 chip as a addressable LED, without the LEDs. Just add it in-line with your string and address it as an LED.

ws2811

Here is a schematic of the chip used to drive high-power LEDs. (This was my project starting place).

My knowledge of the inner workings of WLED is fairly superficial.
I have a ESP32 spare that I could experiment with so I might have a go with that.
Would your suggestion be able to integrate with my Xlights program?
Alan

I don’t know what Xlights is, but if the MOSFETS can handle the current that your LEDs draw, then you don’t need a relay. The WS2811 chip goes in your LED strip as if it were another LED.

You can definitely drive WLED w/Xlights if you search around the Forum and the Knowledge Base you’ll find some good examples.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.
I shall experiment with all options and report back with my findings.
Alan