WS2811 12V Pixels Maximum Voltage

Hi All,

I’m using around 450 Rextin 12V WS2811 pixels in my setup.

With my current setup, they work OK, but I have issues with twinkling at higher brightness, especially when using lots of white pixels, with more twinkling farther down the line. My current setup looks like this:

I haven’t added the dashed lines yet, but I plan to. My question is, if adding the dashd line wiring doesn’t work, could I increase the PSU voltage safely? my PSU is adjustable, I think up to 15V.

I can’t find a spec sheet for the lights, but typically 10-20% overvoltage isn’t a problem in my experience. Thoughts?

What type of Bullet pixels for 12V?

Resistor regulated or with Regulator?

I’m not sure how to tell. I can’t find any spec sheets for them.

They look like the regulator style.
If you look carefully through the epoxy, you’ll see the WS2811 IC and somewhere a 3 terminal transistor looking thing. That’s the 5V regulator.

I wouldn’t tweak the voltage much unless you’re seeing drastic voltage drops.
Those type actually can perform better under drop situations as the LED is regulated down to always work work with 5V.
Unless you get below 7V at the pixels, they should work fine with no noticeable change in LED brightness or colour change.

More likely you have a data issue and/or software issues.

What type of levelshifter are you using?
What ESP board?
How are you powering the ESP?
What version of WLED are you running?
Any segments with overlapping pixels?

I would also caution against buying regulated pixels as they seem to be much more likely to catch on fire.

I’ve got some 800 12V regulated pixels living outside permanently over the last 8+ years.

Still going fine, worst case has been replacing 4 that died over that time.

Join the xlights support FB group and you will see that most the pixel fires are with regulated. Generally with ones post covid though. The old they don’t make things like they used to. :grin: