WS2811 Globes not working

I’ve got some nice 50mm globes from Build A Light Show that are 24v and claim to be WS2811 based. I’ve got 24v from an external power supply into the lights and a USB adaptor powering an ESP8266. I have D4 on the ESP connected to the string data line and Ground on the ESP connected up to the 24v ground.

I’ve got WS2811 selected in the settings and I have set the length to 40 since there are 40 globes. With everything powered on I am only getting a single red globe lit up, the first one in the string.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

I’ve also just tried running FastLED on an Arduino Uno so that I have 5v logic. This time, the first globe lights and cycles through the correct sequence but none of the others are lit. I’m wondering if this could be a problem with the wiring past the first globe?

Anyway, you can cut the first bulb to check if it is the bug. Although the probability is very small.

I connected a different set of 2811s to the controller and it worked. Inspected the first globe and found the ground wire has pulled the pad off the pcb. I’ve removed the first globe and now it’s all working.