50x16 (800led`s) Metrix Scrolling text

Hi to all, yes Im a newbie here and to the configuration of my DigQuad. For the most part Ive sort of got it figured out how to make some presets and have them run a show once power is turned on as well to have all 4 DigQuads sync together so the front and the back lights work.
The scrolling text however keeps going over my head even after seeing few videos on youtube and reading quite few how to tutorials I end up with nothing not even a flash of hope to speak of.
Here is the metrix that I made using LED String 5 m 50 leds WS2812B, got 16 strings of 50 leds each (800 pixels total) streched on the garage wall that are divided into 2 segments to make my blinking/flashing led show in conjunction with 2 WS2812B Round Reticulate Neon LED Tube divided into 2 segments as the outline of the garage roofline and that all works just fine to make them blink and flash.
The problem Im running into is how to configure the 2 segments of (800 pixels) with a scrolling text ( Merry Christmas / Happy New Year ) to complete my dream setup. Can anyone point me to a tutorial that explains this step-by-step . Yes I understand that it may be very easy for some folks unfortunately this old fart is not so lucky and basicly Im glad to be able to figure out the blinks and flashes .
The better half and I will be very greatful for your guidence.

Scrolling text effect uses segment name for display.
See KB.

1 Like

Thank you @blazoncek for the link.
I have visited that page many times before and do understand the segment name is being used for displaying the scrolling text, the problem I have is that after going thru the steps of configuring everything there is no scrolling text on my 800 pixel matrix. Im wondering if perhaps the 800 pixels is not dense enough to use as a display to be able to see scrolling text properly. Hopefully one day Ill be able to figure out my mistake and correct it.

Sounds like you don’t have your 2D settings quite right. Until you get that correct, you will just see gibberish.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “2 segments”. “Segments” in WLED context has a specific meaning. But I think you may be using it so say you are running on 2 data pins? Please clarify if that is what you mean. And if so, do you have 8x50 on one pin followed by 8x50 on another pin?

The photo you posted in the other thread makes me think you’ve got two 50x8 panels. Set your LED count to 400 on each pin and in 2D settings, set up a single 50x16 panel, horizontal, serpentine with the correct first LED location.

@Artacus
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

So the entire setup in this display has 1300 LEDs configured like this in Hardware setup LED outputs:

The first 500 LEDs in output 1 and 2 is a Round Neon LED 360 Degree Smart Flexible Silicon Light 250 LEDs each tube.
Then we have output 3 configured for WS2812B RGBIC Christmas Lights LED Strings (8 strings of 50 LEDs each) total of 400 LEDs on output 3 and another 400 LEDs on output 4. So total for output 3 and 4 is 800 LEDs.

You`re correct, I did make a segment for each output in the Dig-Quad for this particular display, at the time when putting this display together the idea was to have for each segment a different sequence of blinks and flashes than the other 3 segments. The idea of trying to have the scrolling text came to me with the release of WLED v0.14.0

As far as the 2D display settings go this is what I have:

I have spend a lot of time (last 3 hours just today) in the 2D settings trying different configurations and nothing comes even close to having a correct display of text, all I get is a bunch of random vertical lines scrolling left to right or right to left or left and right to the centre of display.
I have gone as far as making a factory reset and re-updating my esp32 with WLED v0.14.0 just to make sure it is not the root of my problems.
Unfortunately that did not help.
Is it possible that the esp32 has gone bananas internally? But if that was the case than all my other blink and flash would be displaying gibberish as well.
Thank you for your input.

That is a lot going on, on one controller. To mix 2D and 1D on a single controller your 2D must come first. Look in the KB for info on mixed 1D 2D setups. Try reordering your pins so your matrix pins are the first two defined.

Personally I’d put it on its own controller. If you can’t get it sorted and you don’t want to add another controller, you may need something like xlights.

I have not considered the possibility of overloading the controller, thank you for the idea of putting the matrix on its own controller. I will explore your first suggestion of setting the matrix on output 1 and 2 and see if anything changes.
That will have to wait thou until later on once we get back home. I`ll make sure to post my findings.
Thank you.

Update…

Spend few hours on this again without any luck, still get nothing that would resemble scrolling text.

Re-done all my connections with brand new ferrules connectors just to make sure that I didn’t have a poor connection anyware.
Unfortunatley none of that made any differnce, all effects display just fine as far as I can tell however the scrolling text keeps displaying gibberish same as before.

We all have times where our dreams are beyond our abilities, unfortunately this dream has fallen of a tall steap cliff where my shortcomings shine brighter than the scrolling text.

Thank you all for reading.

The fact that the LEDs are flashing and you are able to create patterns suggests the basic hardware Is OK.

How is your matrix laid out? Enlarging your pics seems to suggest a snake/serpentine (just one long string of LEDs). If so you need that box ticked on the 2D setup page.

For our VW camper club’s Christmas lights tours I created 4 small matrix’s for the windows, 14 x 17 I think, and they displayed text just fine. For me the issue was the method of construction I choose as I had to devise a way to skip pixels at the end of each serpentine turn. This was done with an led gap file.

3 Likes