A garland curtain (20x40) on one pin. Is it possible?

Hi. I want to implement a project, a garland curtain (20x40), but I need the segments not to connect from the bottom, but to be separate and all on the same pin (in the image).WLED supports multistrip, only 10 lanes, need 40. Question is it possible to implement such a project? maybe a controller for each individual segment (attiny?). I hope this can be implemented

I think this is what you are looking for: Modular Matrix build (HowTo)

You don’t want to run that many LEDs on a single pin. You will get poor frame rates. If you need to use strips, I’d run a data line from the bottom of one strand to the top of the next.

Not sure if I’d worry too much about the LED count here.
800 total LEDs is not particularly high (at least according to the KB info).

I’d definitely agree, the simplest solution is just to “end-end” the strips so they can be joined as one strip. Depending on how far apart they are “horizontally”, it may be as simple as reversing the direction of every other piece to allow them to join.

If you reduce it to 2 strips of 400 on 2 GPIOs you should be pretty bullet proof.

Much will depend on what the final use case is…

I already have A VERSION of w2812b with no DATA return. They need to be used. I bought a curtain garland on aliexpress, there is a fee in the garland (pictured). I think it is possible to implement such a thing?

I don’t think anyplace sells just the chip that strips off the addresses for each drop.

They also sell curtains that do not have the chip at the top of each drop. I have 2 w/out the chips (20x20 and 20x27) as well as icicle lights w/out the chip. In that case I think they are using a hard coded first pixel for each drop, though I am not 100% sure as I am not going to cut them up to find out. I did cut 1 LED off the icicles before for testing to see how it would get addressed if I relocated it.

These do not have the chips at the top: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKX883BW Keep an eye on them I got them for $25 when Amazon Prime days were going on. (not sure if they are all hard coded addresses as I did not cut them up) If you want to read a long thread w/some crazy testing of the icicle lights it’s here: WS2812B....ish? Fairy Icicle lights

If you are ok with using the seed pixels vs strips, like were in the link. In that topic there is a link to aliexpress where you can buy a roll of 4 wire seed pixels that have the data return wire. All you have to do is solder the data out at the bottom of your drop to the return wire and you will have your data back at the top to be connected to the next drop. Those circuit board strips and rj11 connections are just an optional convenience.

if you transfer the data from the arduino about the pixel to attiny . attiny will receive in accordance with the desired line, if true, then it will continue the signal further. Or is it a utopia?

I have a simple w2812 and I need to implement them.

Knowshine (AliExpress manufacturer/vendor) sold a set of controller chips to NotEnoughLights. But the number of pixels to pass down the strand before it sends the rest of the data to the next controller is burned in to them at the factory. And we couldn’t get a datasheet to figure out how to configure them. So you’d be stuck with whatever length they were set up for, typically 10, 15 or 20. Other curtains have sub-controllers but their dimensions set by a specific pulse from the controller. Those are not supported by WLED yet, as far as I know.

The curtains that don’t have sub-controllers on the tops typically are fixed addressed. The biggest problem with them is that if a pixel burns out you can’t just splice a new one in.

The pre-built curtains are great as long as WLED can control them (some use only 2 wires) and the dimensions work for you. If you want custom dimensions, then seed pixels with at built-in data return line is the way to go.

One dead giveaway on “hard coded” strings is the data line.
Normal data is daisy chained from LED->LED, but on hard coded sets the data line is just one continuous conductor. The data line is just a “bus” like power or ground.

You should be able to test non-destructively, by simply measuring for conductivity from the start of the data line to the end. On normal LEDs there is no continuity (or very high resistance).
For hard coded it should be appear as low resistance or a short.