Adding a new IR remote option to settings

I’ve got the code pulled down and working with a new remote. Wiki instructions were great.
I’m having trouble figuring out where/how to add this new remote to the sync settings UI.

I tried in the settings_sync.html file. Just adding a new option (value=7). The change isn’t showing up.
I tried the instruction for compressing ui changes but am a bit confused. Those instructions refer specifically to index.htm and html_ui.h. Not sure what to do for settings_sync.html.

I also tried making the change directly in html_settings.h. Seems to trigger an exception.

How do I add another option to the IR Remote dropdown?

Hi, sorry for the confusion!
Yep, you will need to add the change to html_settings.h. At what point does the exception happen if you do so?

Exception seems unrelated. It does it on first boot after a flash, then never again. It does that even without my changes. I’ll post a github issue when I manage to capture it in the serial monitor.
I’m going to submit a PR for my IR remote support shortly. I also added support for repeated press actions for changing effect speed and intensity.

Interesting! There is a similar known issue where the ESP8266 module boots up correctly after an USB flash, but cannot soft-reset itself (e.g. via the WLED “Save and Reboot”), which will yield an exception on the next boot. The only known workaround is to power cycle the board after the flash.

So I’m trying a similar thing, adding a custom IR remote in the dropdown menu and IR.cpp file, the problem is I cannot compile using Arduino IDE and keep getting this error message. src/dependencies/time/TimeLib.h: No such file or directory.
I have all the libraries installed and checked.
Sorry I opened a Github issue before finding this forum.

I used platform.io. Successfully built easily.
I’d recommend that. VScode is much nicer than the Arduino IDE IMHO.

1 Like

I have today tried platform.io before reading this to find another option, I do need some advice on using it however to build/compile. I used the straight source data from WLED github with no edits but cannot build without errors. Any advice or user guides?

If your platformIO has any global libraries used by WLED, they need to be deleted before WLED will compile properly - using the default settings that is. I found this out the hard way.