Basic WLED strip for kitchen cabinets

Nothing fancy, just my first successful WLED implementation, integrated into Home Assistant. WLED is such brilliantly conceived and executed software - congrats to the developers and community.

1 Like

The electronics will all go into a single plastic junction box

WLED is integrated into Home Assistant and controlled from the kitchen wall tablet

1 Like

Might I suggest a ~200ohm dropdown resistor between your board and the data pin, before the first actual LED The closer the resistor to the LED strip, the better, but… honestly, I didn’t follow this advice myself (mine is practically at the board). Helps prevent damage to the Data pin, though, worst case scenario, you can always change the WLED code to switch data on a different pin, if you have an issue. I did have an issue, after an electrical storm, and had to change from D4 to TX (I’m sure any of the D’s would have been fine)

I’ve had no issues with 180ohm 1/2w resistors to prevent any damage to board logic on the WS2812 strips in the event of catastrophic power loss… Which happens daily right now due to all the construction in my building. I’ve tried the 3.3>5.0v logic converters, and 220-400ohm resistors, which failed miserably.

At 12w/m maximum output, the PSU might be a bit overkill OR, I’d seriously upgrade the size if your 5v and ground wiring. That’s around 2.4amps/m, those little wires look around 22g and can handle 7a for open air chassis wiring or 3m of LEDs, if they’re stranded copper. They may be smaller, at 24g, which can only handle 3.5a in a similar condition… Or 1.5m.

I’ve also noticed major benefits adding solder to all the Data pads between each LED on the strip (a real pita, I know). Strip longevity and accuracy of effects are largely improved.

Next, definitely looking to get Home Assistant working. Great idea. TY.