Cannot identify strip type

Hi all, I picked up a AIO led strip that has a IR remote and inline PIR module, it was a few pounds/dollars for 2 metre length, thought I could use it in a future project with WLED, plus love a LED bargain.
The problem is, I cannot match what type of strip it is. I’ve gone through the internet trying to match images but cannot find it.

It has what seems like WS2812 modules plus seperate white LEDs and by measurement seems like 2835. Can anyone identify it, because although I’d class it as a RGBW, it doesnt match whats commonly available? If I can identify it, then I will know if it will work with WLED.

I’ve added a photo to help. Thanks

From the photo, my guess would be a standard WS281x strip with a parallel analog W channel.
So you should be able to control individual RGB LEDs, but the white channel would be brightness only for the whole strip at once.

You’re right, the white LEDS all light up together with brightness control. I don’t mind that, its actually better for my outdoor project, as the white led is more accurate and draws less power. Similar to the SK models.

Any chance you have a model/product code or do you think it’s bespoke and will it work will WLED?

The fact it shows a standard DIn, DOut line means it’s highly likely that’s a WS281x variant.

Very good probability WLED will drive that.
If you add a suitable MOSFET it can also drive the white LEDs.

Hey div, I’m thinking of getting a RGBW strip but I’m kinna confused on the mosfet part, do you know if there is a good guide about it?

To me, RGBW usually means each LED in the strip has 4 colours - R, G, B, and W (commonly SK6812RGBW)

The picture in this thread shows what can be called RGB + W, a normal RGB addressable strip with a set of separate White LEDs added. Note that the white LEDs are not addressable, all you can do is vary the white LED brightness for the whole strip at the same time.

That’s why a MOSFET is required, it switches the entire line of white LEDs on and off very quickly. The “duty cycle” of that switching (how much time on vs off) determines the brightness. You can think of the MOSFET (veeery roughly) as a very fast relay with contacts that don’t wear out.

For “normal” addressable LEDs, the brightness is set for each pixel independently by a number thats in the data stream for all the LEDs. For analog style, it’s one long led with a brightness you can change.

A little time with your friend Google (try: “DIY MOSFET LED circuit”) and some rabbit hole adventures await…

1 Like