Can't install WLED - should be simple but I'm going mad

I want to start by saying I have used WLED successfully with a few ESP boards. Eventually, they lost connection to the app and I could only control them through my computer. Then, after a time, I couldn’t do that either. I recently have tried to get the lights working again but have been STRUGGLING. I have tried 2 or 3 different sets (thinking they would last longer), and NOTHING works. I can’t even connect to them after initial installation (if I get that far).

I decided to try the first king that I got (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RNX3W9J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and I can’t get them to install WLED. It says ‘No compatible devices found’. Yet, when I plug one of the first modules in, I get this message: Failed to execute ‘open’ on ‘SerialPort’: Failed to open serial port.

I also notice the blue LED on these new boards doesn’t stay lit…it’ll flash once or twice when I plug it in then stay off. Is that a problem?

I’ve updated my drivers (should be the right one, anyway…). I’ve tried ESP Home Flasher, Ply Flasher, and the website. I’ve tried to research over and over and over. Nothing works and I’m at my wit’s end lol.

Can you tell us how you wired the boards? Which GPIO pin did you use? How are you powering your setup?

Right now it’s plugged into the USB on my computer. I can’t get WLED installed yet so I haven’t gotten that far. Once I do that, I should be find (I hope).

I’ve tried two boards, both don’t stay lit up. Might open a third. Could they all be defective? Like what are the odds…

Download WLED flasher from here WLED-wemos-shield/resources/Firmware/WLED_ ESP_Flasher at master · srg74/WLED-wemos-shield · GitHub and bin file from here WLED-wemos-shield/resources/Firmware/@Aircoookie/Latest/mini_shield/WLED_0.14.0_esp8266_mini_shield_minimum.bin at master · srg74/WLED-wemos-shield · GitHub
Open bin file in WLED flasher, choose port to which you have connected board and flash firmware. Watch messages while flashing and done.

This is the error I get when I do that on my old board:

Using ‘COM5’ as serial port.
Unexpected error: Cannot configure port, something went wrong. Original message: PermissionError(13, ‘A device attached to the system is not functioning.’, None, 31)

When I plug a new board in (I’ve tried 3 new ones), it doesn’t even recognize them being plugged in. The blue LED flashes twice then stays off. The old board at least registers in the software.

You might need the driver to communicate with the ch340 usb to serial to be able to flash.

drivers found here CH340 Drivers for Windows, Mac and Linux

Try using a different computer.

Make sure to reboot after installing the CH340 driver.

Maybe your USB cable is bad?

You could also try flashing from here: https://wled-install.github.io/

So according to my device manager, it LOOKED like that was the one installed. I installed it from your link and BOOM! It worked…at least on my old board (still not connecting to wifi, but that’s the point of the new boards). On the new board, it still does not even act as though they’re connected. I guess I will research this a bit and if all else fails, return these and get new ones in the hopes that they will work. The very first set I got did not have this problem. Thank you!

On some research, it says my cable might be bad. Although, it works for some boards and not others. I’m going to see if I have another cable I can try as I mostly have USB-C now…fingers crossed lol.

1 Like