CCT with 3 channels

Hi,
I made LED boards with 3 different LEDs: 1800K, 2700K and 5700K

Why?
I did this because I wanted the extra-warm-white but my tests showed that mixing 1800K and 5700K does not give a nice standard warm white. Theory proved that this is not caused by the selection of the LEDs, but this is a general problem: In the CIE color space white is on a curve, that gets a lot more “curved” for low white temperatures. When mixing two different whites the resulting color is on a straight line between these two whites, but for low color temperatures the line approximation is not good.

I would like to make these controllable with an ESP (the LED drivers for each channel have PWM input). Is WLED suited for this (there is no RGB stuff). What is needed to add support for these concept? Is it something that could be added easily, basically just adding an output channel somewhere and adjusting the temperature/intesity calculation, or would I basically have to rewrite everything, because CCT is considered everywhere to have two channels?

Best regards
Stefan

The correct way is to open an issue on Github where such requests are tracked.

hi @Stefan-Olt
WHAT happens if you choose a RGB PWM setup and use the RED / Blue / Green channel to mix the color you like
within the RGB numbers you are able to get 255 Values per stripe

this shoudt give you more options

It’s somewhat inconvenient to use and it’s not a good idea for another reason: The power supply is not powerful enough to run all 3 LEDs at full power, it might also be a thermal issue (the LEDs are placed very close on an aluminum PCB)

FYI You can always set brightness limiter. I do agree using RGB in very far from optimal solution.