ESP32 (Kit C Wroom32) with HD107 LED strip not working

So, I did the following things.

1. Installed WLED to the ESP32 using the web installer, set up the WiFi, and set the LED type to APA102 and the length to 300.

2. Connected the LED strip to a 5V, 20 Amp buck converter.

3. On the ESP 32, I used the GPIO 4 and 16 and connected the LED strip using 22 SWG wire. Also connected the GND pin to the power supply GND. And BTW, I powered the ESP32 using a power bank.

4. I then used the mobile app to start the ‘show’ but the only thing starting was the HD107’s self-test (which is automatic).

So, what should be the next step?
Any help would be appreciated!

An update: I tried the APA 102 Python library on the Raspberry Pi 4 and no luck!

I was wondering if HD107S vastly differs from the Apa 102!

The data sheet said there compatible with apa102’s

Perhaps the data signal’s are not reaching the strip? May need a levelshifter.
https://kno.wled.ge/basics/compatible-hardware/#levelshifters

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!
Yeah, very well could be the reason. I’ll try using a level shifter and see if it works!

BTW, the apa102 and the hd107s are very similar as you said. That’s why attempted to do this and the APA 102 led strip I had worked without any level shifter (with Raspberry Pi 4).

BTW, I followed your advice and it did the trick!
I got the level shifter (SN74AHCT125) on the breadboard, connected everything as per the circuit diagram and there it is!

Now, I need to somehow integrate it into the expansion board which came with the Devkit (which is gonna be difficult as I have no background in electronics). Maybe I should get the Dig Uno board instead!

Thanks, BTW