How does WLED know which ESP32 Board?

I am using pin GPIO 16 on ESP32-DevKitC (ESP32-WROOM). I am able to program and connect to it; but, the LED strip is not responding. Do I need to tell it what type of board I have?

The .bin file that is loaded must match the type of board you are using. If you can connect to the WLED web page programmed into your board, you’ve likely loaded the correct version.

What type of LED strip are you using and how have you connected power and data?
Draw a diagram if possible.
Are you sure you’re connected to the Data In side of your strip?
Have you checked the LED preferences to make sure you’re using GPIO16?

The LED strip is: WS2812B
I have the ESP32 board connected on a socket on an Electrocookie board. This board is powered by a 5V-3A power supply. I have GPIO16 connected to the green wire and 5V to the red wire, and ground to the white wire of the connector to the strip.

I did make sure that GPIO16 is selected in LED preferences.

Also; some lights are coming on. There are 2 Red and 2 Green lights illuminated and always on same LED position.

If you’re getting lights come on on the LED strip with power only and no data connection, there’s something wrong. LED strips do not light up without data.
Try moving your wiring connections and/or consider soldering your power power and data connections to make sure they’re reliable.

It’s possible the strip is bad or some of the pixels are bad.
Do you have a levelshifter on your data line?

I currently have all connections soldered to the board. I do not have a level shifter on the data line.

It sounds like to me that there is an issue with the data line. Is that how you see it? Thanks for all your time. I will dig into the data line and see if I can see anything. I have an oscilloscope and will tap on to that line.

I checked the 5V to the LED strip at the exiting end and it is good.

Might be worthwhile to add a levelshifter to ensure the LED data is at the required 5V level.
What LEDs are you using, can you post a link?
Have you ever gotten the LEDs working with any type of controller?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C52WHHHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I got these to work with rPI PICO W.

Thanks