ESP32 vs “Pixel Controller”

I want to do a Holiday light setup using Xlights and WLED. One thing I can not figure out is why I would need a fancy pixel controller, like the Falcon, for $250-$300 vs just using 1 or multiple ESP32’s and some power supplies with distribution blocks. I’ve read where people have used ESP32’s and Xlights/WLED, but wondering if I’m missing something by thinking I can use a $5 board and power supply vs a full blown $500-$600 setup???

1 Like

All depends on how big of a show you are looking to run, if using wifi make sure you have real good signal and use boards with ext antenna’s. If strong wifi is not an option you would have to use ones with ethernet.

I ran a show with about 2500 pixels last Christmas and used 2 esp8266’s and 2 esp32’s. I will be expanding the show for this Christmas and will still be using the above and maybe another esp32. The show ran without issue. 5v pixels, 12 pixels, 5v seed (fairy) lights. xscheduler running on a laptop. This year I may run FPP from a beagle bone or a pie. Not 100% sure yet.

Large shows with lots of pixels/props would be best supported by one of the big name controllers/receivers.

Awesome, thank you for the confirmation!

I’m looking at about 400 lights on my roof line, about 400-500 on bushes and 1,000 between two trees, so under 2,000. Doing research and planning (and purchasing) now to have it all ready by next season. Sounds like trying with ESP32’s this first year may be worth a shot!

1 Like

This was New Years:

Youtube keeps blocking my Christmas one :slightly_frowning_face:

Here’s a good chart to look at: Max amount of Addressable LEDs? - quinled.info

It’s not just the number of LED’s you have, it’s also how fast you want to be able to run them (frames per second). The more LEDs you have being controlled from a single controller, the slower the effects can update and it starts to get jerky and not smooth.

For instance, if you want to run effects at about 60 FPS, you wouldn’t want more than about 500 LEDs connected to a single ESP32 output channel. You could run 1000 LEDs, but at only about 30 FPS max. It might be ok for what you want to do and the types of effects you want to run, but it’s best to know so you can plan.

I have no problems running a light show with xlights and esp controllers.
I have 12 effects each with its own controller. I use a mixture of node mcu’s, D1 mini’s and esp32’s.
The benefit of individual controllers is that in the event of a malfunction the problem does not spoil the show and can be easily fixed or replaced.
There are a total of 1950 pixels with a maximum of 600 on a controller.
A good WIFI signal is essential and I keep cable lengths from controller to first led as short as possible.
I have not found it necessary to use a level shifter or sacrificial pixel to boost signal data.
Good luck with your project and do not feel pushed into purchasing expensive hardware, buy good quality lights instead and all should be okay.

Alan

This is some great information! I really appreciate it all!!

New question!

I have 2 large trees I want to wrap in lights. I’m reading with ESP32 your first LED should be like 10ft. Well from where I’ll have an ESP32 to the closest tree is like 50ft minimum. So I was thinking I could put an ESP32 at the base of each tree in a waterproof box, in the ground. However, Wi-Fi signal won’t reach that… how do I get Ethernet to an ESP32?? Or how do you push signal 50ft or so? Googling isn’t finding much, unless I drop $60 on a special board. 2 trees and I might as well get a fancy board.

For long data runs you could use RS485 differential transmitter/receiver boards Long Data lines - WLED Project

You could also put the Esp’s close to the trees in waterproof enclosures and buy a reasonably priced wifi router or extender and locate it closer to the trees for signal.

Last option would be to possibly use a few f-amp’s to boost the signal along that 50ft. You would likely need one at the beginning, at 15-20ft and another one at about 35-40ft depending on your environment.

1 Like

Thank you so much!!! I think the RS485 is just the ticket!! I just rewired my house with Cat6A and I read you can use Cat cable between the Tx and RX, so I think I’ll bury some Cat6A with a few runs of LED cable and I’ll get my trees to dance!

1 Like

If you are looking for pixels Mattos has a good deal on some right now. 2,000 pixels for $450 shipped.

add 20 to your cart and use the code below.

Code: BOSSISAWAY

(I am in no way affiliated with Mattos Designs. I am just passing along a good deal.)

It’s funny how many small companies I discover the more I look into this. I discovered Wally’s Lights and have bought a few sets to experiment with. Looks like Mattos has even better deals. I just want to buy quality lights, none of the Amazon stuff that i’ll have to replace in a few years.

1 Like