First time WLED through counter lighting

This is my first time using WLED. It’s everything I was going to try to do and much more. Perfect for me to be able to hand off to a non-tech person or customer for easy app controlled lighting.

My only issue so far will hopefully be fixed tonight when I tweak and compile it manually. 1500 led limit.

I already had the light board built and installed before I found WLED. The data line is not accessible now that it is installed. I was using an esp8266 with the fast led library and the patterns hard coded during testing so didn’t realize that 3610 leds was going to be a problem.

I have upgraded to an esp32 so don’t expect any problems. I don’t need fast frame rates.!

First time using this many leds, first time doing through lighting a countertop. 5x8 Island. I usually do edge lit acrylic signs.

esp8266 minus a couple of the rows.

1 Like

Very unusual setup. Question is why do you need more then 1500 LEDs? What is density of your LED strip?

That looks amazing!
What kind of mineral stone is it?

@srg74 i guess that many are needed so that the light appears uniform. And it is easier to lay the LEDs in a matrix layout even beneath the opaque parts.

1 Like

The obvious answer to your question is I have more than 1500 leds. 3610 to be exact.

When I was building it I was testing with an esp8266 using fastled library and all my patterns hard coded. It’s update rate was slow. But still perfect for the project.

I had planned on upgrading to esp32 all along. So wasn’t worried about the web interface eating to many resources. And could always move up to a raspberry pi if needed.

I tried soulmate but wasn’t able to get past a few hurdles fast enough. (all instruction are for a mac and on an older release of espressif ide, that was where I got tripped up.)

But then I discovered WLED project. It is better than what I had planned on trying to build and the only problem I have is the limit on how many leds I can control with one esp. Had I known about WLED and its 1500 led limit in advance I would have build the led matrix where I could get at the data line in multiple places. Hindsight and all that. I learned alot on this project that will be fixed going forward. But none of that helps me know.

All I need to do is up the limit to 3650 in all the appropriate places in the code so I can compile it and load my esp32 up.

I found the 1500 limit and changed it to 3650 in const.h, but apparently their are more locations to change. I am looking for them now and would greatly appreciate any help in this. I am in crunch time to get this done.

Line 76 in html_settings.h :slight_smile: Good luck, I believe no one has tried that many LEDs before

1 Like

It is a granite top with Quartz mixed in.

The biggest reason for the unseen leds is this is the second slab.
The first broke in transport. So I made it so a third slab would be able to be used.

I am using 60 LED/meter strips. It would have been only slightly harder to wire with only the quartz sections lit. More soldering.

I am loving your WLED so far. So much better than what I had planned in the beggining.
I have spent way to much time fixing a problem. I still don’t have the first two rows lit from that mistake after slab install. but you can really tell unless you know where to look.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you so much! While this portion has been a little frustrating. I have learned alot.

Compiling now!

That did the trick. I will upload the results when I go install the new brain!


New brain was installed and it worked beautifully!

Then I hardware killed it again.
But the silver lining is that I now know why my first two rows would not work and it is fixable.

I only took short videos of it working. But I can’t load videos.
After the final fix I will upload to youtube and then can point to that.