Flashing with WLED web installer: Timed out waiting for packet header

Hello, I really appreciate this great project. I already got some experimental lights running on a Wemos D1. Now I wanted to upload WLED via the web installer to a ESP8266 07 / 07s due to the possibility to have a langer Wifi range with an external antenna. The flashing work both ways (once over an own build setup, once over an programmer socket) until it reaches nearly 100%. Than the error “Timed out waiting for packet header” is shown. I already searched online, but eg the hint with additional capacitor between EN and GND did not work for me

Can anybody help here or give me a hint?

Best greetings
Markus

used programmer socket: New ESP8266 Programmer Socket Adapter For ESPRESSIF ESP-12S ESP-07S Module | eBay

Hello , You did not mention if you can flash in Ardunio IDE and if so them below might not apply .

I haven’t used that specific programmer nor chip but used others including esp01s and 2m and 4m esp8266s as well as some esp32s . For my own testing you may (or may not) need to keep gpio 0 connected to GND and some of the MCUs only worked by flashing the corresponding bins from this site https://wled-install.github.io/ but did not work from the normal wled web installer here https://install.wled.me .

This is from my own testing on a PC and a mac but with a lot of different units . Cheers

Hi,

thanks for your message. I am not using Arduino IDE but I tried to flash again with the WLED web installer and added a jumper wire between GPIO0 and GND, but same problem as above.

I also tried a different method, the esphomeflasher (Releases · esphome/esphome-flasher · GitHub). This was also running very smoothly for the WLED_0.13.1_ESP8266.bin:

Using ‘COM7’ as serial port.
Connecting…
Detecting chip type… Unsupported detection protocol, switching and trying again…
Connecting…
Detecting chip type… ESP8266
Connecting…
Chip Info:
Chip Family: ESP8266
Chip Model: ESP8266EX
Chip ID: 00DCAFB7
MAC Address: 58:BF:25:DC:AF:B7
Uploading stub…
Running stub…
Stub running…
Changing baud rate to 460800
Changed.
Flash Size: 1MB
Flash Mode: dout
Flash Frequency: 40MHz
Erasing flash (this may take a while)…
Chip erase completed successfully in 0.0s
Flash will be erased from 0x00000000 to 0x000b6fff…
Flasg at 0x000051df… (6 %)Writing at 0x0000b307… (9 %)

(sorry, but in my window at some point whyever the old log trace gets overwritten by the new data)

but in the end it exits with:

Writing at 0x0009ccf1… (87 %)Unexpected error: Error while writing flash: Serial data stream stopped: Possible serial noise or corruption.

So sadly this also does not work out for me. So even the bin-file can not successfully uploaded. Any further advise is really appreciated…

I am aware you are not using Arduino IDE . However as the question is related to flashing that module in general and not specially WLED I assumed you have tested in Arduino IDE first to see if there is a way to flash then test WLED after .

In my case some of the MCUs behaved differently when flashing and we had to do trial and error but most worked from this web installer https://wled-install.github.io/ . If you have a lot of MCUs then i assume you can also try that route of trial and error . I wish you luck as you may need to google how to flash that module with that burner and hopefully find a way .

Maybe the esp is not making a good connection? That is a weird board. I see that the esp is not soldered but just press fit into a weird socket thing. The only reason I could see using that board in the first place would be to flash a bunch of esp’s to later solder to other projects.

Hi,

yes, I want to mount the board in a tiny space, thats why I want to flash only the IC and solder a power supply circuit to it.

Ah gotcha. Well still try taking the chip out and putting it back in the socket and don’t move it around while it’s trying to flash. Still could be a simple bad connection. Good Luck.