WLED web installer stuck on "Preparing installation"

I was able to successfully update 1 WLED controller using the new update feature in HA 2022.4.0. But 1 controller did not update. It rebooted, dropped off the network, and only lit up the first led to white. I connected the ESP to my laptop and am trying to reflash the board. However, the web installer is stuck on the Preparing installation dialogue. I pulled this board off after about 20 mins, and tried another brand new ESP, and have the same issue. Any ideas to resolve this?

Are you connecting GPIO0 to ground to get into flash mode?

I was just using the web installer, install.wled.me. This caused the issue above.
I have been able to install the bin using the ESP flash tools app successfully.
I just wanted to report the web install issue somewhere.

I have the same issue. Using 7 different Live D1 Wemos ESP32 (4M Flash). They were all running WLED 0.13.0 b7 when I tried. Ended up using esptool.exe to do a full flash restore to original WLED 0.13.0 b7 (read entire 4MB flash to bin beforehand, as I had never used the install.wled.me) and tried OTA which worked to upgrade to WLED 0.13.3.

Also tried to upgrade to WLED 0.13.13 with esptool flash of only WLED 0.13.3 bin (already had bootloader), but they would not boot after (not connected to original SSID or AP mode). Again, restore flash back to original and OTA upgrade worked.

To answer the question about why not OTA to begin with, the OTA password that I had recorded only worked on one of the 7 units. So, I would just “restore” entire 4MB flash from OTA enabled unit to the other units to upgrade, when the other modes failed install.wled.me and esptool flash with only WLED 0.13.3.

I now have all 7 upgraded to WLED 0.13.3, but it was a long day from trying all of the different modes, in an attempt to figure this out. I have so many questions.

In the end, as they continued to fail install.wled.me and esptool wled bin only (I was determined to have one of them work), the I just “restored” entire flash for one of the “good” upgraded WLED 0.13.3 units.

One last thought… What is the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results (?). I think this qualifies me as insane. Thanks you for this great community.

hi i need some help to flash esp12e with wled. I am using another nodemcu board and connect the esp12e with it. but it is stuck in preparing installation. do i have to connect gpio0 to vcc to get it into flashing mode?

It would be tied to Gnd not Vcc and it depends on the board.
Some have a Boot or Flash button that does the same thing.

Disconnect all connections from the ESP board pins and then try.