Getting data out without MQTT?

I’m trying to update a project where I need a node red flow to be aware of when wled changes states. I’ve previously used mqtt to alert when the color changes in wled. I’m trying to find a way to do this where I don’t need to hard code an mqtt server IP, or know the IP of the node red server, or the other way, not know the IP address of the wled controller.

Sending data to WLED over serial solves eliminating network in that direction, but I’m not clear on how to do it the other way. It doesn’t look like WLED natively does serial out in the same way that it does other interfaces? It can respond over serial, so I guess I can just sit and poll status constantly, but that feels inefficient.

I can kind of get what I’m looking for by enabling an mDNS name and using the websocket connection, but I’m not sure this is quite the solution I’m looking for. I’m trying to find a way to do this that doesn’t require others to know much about networking to troubleshoot. If for some reason mDNS doesn’t work on a person’s home network, I’d like this project to still work.

Any ideas I haven’t come across yet?