GRB v RGB - what *should* change?

Yesterday while firing up a strip for the first time from the default WLED settings, I set it up to sync with a running WLED instance which is running 3 colors with something like a tri-color chase.

The key is the existing WLED displays 3 colors and was sending out sync updates for use by the new WLED instance.

Once they were syncing, what would you expect if the correct strip color were RGB but GRB (default) was selected? 3 colors, but the wrong 3 colors, right?

I saw 2 colors.

Adjusted strip order to RGB and 3 colors magically appeared on the new strip.

The original WLED instance’s 3 colors: ~RED, ~BLUE, ~GOLD
Imagine that sent to the strip as GRB instead of RGB. Should still be 3 unique but wrong colors, correct? It was all very odd to see. A real head-scratcher for me. I didn’t waste too much time getting the new instance going while scratching my head, but when I woke up today I knew I had to ask to “pixel-heads” amongst us…

Probably a visual anomaly.

You should see 3 colors no matter what mode you choose. The colors just wont reflect the pallet color you have selected or cycle. So if your strip is actually RGB and you select GRB formst then when you select G on the pallet, you will see R. Select R on the pallet you will see G on the sting. B should still show B.

Oh I completely understand the electronics and physics of the situation. I merely pose the reality that only 2 colors were visually discernable when GRB (default) was selected and 3 colors were easily visible with RGB.

Must be something about the way the strips present Green/Blue and Green/Red that I could not tell the difference.

Could also be a bug as I was not using the very latest beta release. Once I update the firmware I’ll toggle the setting back to default and see what I see and post the results here.