Hyperion & WLED OK, but the LED strip doesn't turn on

So I’ve got the following:

• Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+
  • ESP32
  • ws2812b 134 LEDs strip
  • Hyperion.NG latest revision
  • WLED latest stable revision

I’ve got Ambilight function working flawlessly throught Hyperion and I’ve (what it looks to be) succesfully added WLED integration to it.

However when I go to WLED and press the ON button nothing happens on the strip.

It just sits there staying off…

The Pi is wired to the strip by GPIO18 while the ESP32 is connected by Wi-Fi.

Please someone tell me what shall I check to understand why WLED is not controlling the strip right now?

Hello,

I don’t quite understand - the esp should be connected to the strip and not the raspi.

I would first configure WLED without Hyperion and then Hyperion

@thorn WLED can control the strip wireless IF there’s a controller (the Pi) connected to it (the strip).

There should be no physical connection between Pi and ESP. Control is via the network.

You either connect the Pi to the LEDS, or the ESP to the LEDs.

@tonyno Isn’t it then my setup (Pi wired to the strip and ESP32 in another room connected by WiFi)? :thinking:

Maybe I’m missing something, but if Pi is running LEDs, you don’t need the ESP.

Can someone please help me? :pray:t2:

I’ve already tried with another ESP32 just to exclude a defect, but it keeps not enabling/controlling the strip.

I’m trying to but it seems that you have a mistake in your setup

WLED & Hyperion works only when the ESP is connected to the strip and the raspi handling hyerprion

OR

The raspi runs the LED and Hyperion as well

I would recommend you first configure the WLED & ESP setup and afterwards you configure Hyperion accordingly

Mixing these two together will most likely not work

@thorn thanks so you basically are suggesting to take away the Pi in the meantime, connect by wire the ESP32 to the strip to config WLED and then go back to my previous setup.

Correct? :slight_smile:

OK I’ve wired now the ESP32 directly to the LED strip and it keeps not controlling it at all.

Does it mean it is ie. a clone ESP32 or is the issue something else? :thinking:

Hard to answer - could you post a picture of the wiring as well as the ESP?

I already wired back again the Pi.

However I had the ESP32 powered through a micro USB cable with the two wires connected to the (5V 40A) power supply and the LED strip connected to the same power supply.

Then the ESP32 D15 pin connected to the green LED strip data line throug a jumper wire.

I just finished doing the exact same thing but mine is wired different. PI3 is running hyperion and has an USB HDMI capture card from my receiver. NodeMCU has WLED installed and connected to my network. Projector screen has LED strip connected to power supply using the 2 cables coming from the strip. Normally, LED strips some with the 3-pin connector plus 2 more power cables. So in order to power the strip, you wire those two loose cables to the power supply, leaving the 3 cables with the plug. Those 3 cables are wired into the NodeMCU. The power supply powers the strip and the MCU. Back to the PI, in Hyperion, you configure the LED Hardware to use UDPRAW as the controller type, fill in your LED count and RGB order, followed by the IP of the WLED instance and finally using port 19446. Save config. If you connect to the IP of the WLED, you’ll get a message stating that it is receiving live data from Hyperion. That should be it

@el-ch13fo exactly the same setup apart from NodeMCU (I have no clue about what it is :sweat_smile:).

Of course when talking about Hyperion it is working perfectly.

Did I read this correctly - you powered the esp through USB and the power source (5v 40A)?

You might have fried your esp