I have 1 section of LEDs that I installed in the wrong direction can i fix this with segments?

I have installed my LEDs and wired it all behind cabinets, its a big job to rewire.

But i’m an idiot and installed 1 section of leds the wrong way around so with effects like “chase” for example it will flow left to right untill it get to the strip thats the wrong way, when it goes right to left. then carries on left to right, the numbers below will hopfully explain what i mean

here’s how I installed my LEDs
LED 1, LED 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11 ,10, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 etc…

is there a way to fix my screw up and reverse 10-16?

The data and power lines flow the correct way

Because addressable led strips have a definite direction, the data goes into the lowest number in the chain, out, and the next data in becomes the next led in the string.

If you have the led’s working but some are displayed in reverse, that’s a wiring miracle, and setting up wled segments should help. The backwards segment can display in reverse order by configuring that segment to run the effect in reverse.

Possible idea:

group 1
led 1 …9 - normal direction

group 2:
led 10 …16 - reverse direction

group 3:
led 17 …etc - normal direction

Then select the animation per group you wish to have.
It’s worth a test.

Thank you but that was the first thing i tried but each segment has its own effect

Isn’t there a setting to either set an effect to normal or reverse? Do that for the backwards segment, reverse that effect so it’s like you flipped the strip around (and moved all that wiring too). Or did you do that, and it does not work correctly? Or does the segment not give you the ability to set it as forward or reverse?

Yes right so wled is working.
Then you have to work on the hardware. Dismantle it and wire is the right way.

These are your two options. Anything else is not possible.

Ok thank you, I think I’ll leave it. I’ll need to make new holes and things, it’s a big job.

I can make my own custom effects if it need too

You can setup an E1.31 controller and add the “strips” in sections and let the E1.31 controller reverse your effect(s). That requires something capable of continuously running E1.31 if your LEDs are not static, and if they are, then E1.31 is probably not going to help.

1 Like

Hi, i’ve also added a custom mapping feature to the top of FX_fcn.cpp, which should solve the issue. You could try

//enable custom per-LED mapping. This can allow for better effects on matrices or special displays
#define WLED_CUSTOM_LED_MAPPING

#ifdef WLED_CUSTOM_LED_MAPPING
//this is just an example (30 LEDs). It will first set all even, then all uneven LEDs.
const uint16_t customMappingTable[] = {
  0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 16};

This should reverse the few LEDs that are the wrong direction. Segments aren’t a good solution in this case because they don’t allow you to run a continuous animation in one direction across your entile installation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That amazing thank you :slight_smile: